Circus Maximus availability

Ken, can I call you too; i want to hear each bonus track over the phone before i make this life and death decision as to which version I should buy. If you could squeeze me in at 3:25p.m., that would be great. Thanks

Thank you nightmare1z, above all i just want things to be the same rather than the haves and the have nots, and as a consumer i have a right to voice my opinion. and on this board perhaps i do not and will be banned for it, who knows.

and ken, appreciate the offer, but you're on one side of the fence and i'm on a different side. as a consumer i want the same thing everyone else gets, as a producer you want to give something different to differentiate yourself to generate revenue and buzz for your company. nothing will change that, but hopefully consumer demand may eventually shape it some

well bh, this here consumer is going to continue to buy as i always have. good luck with your crusade. i strongly doubt you'll get any farther than complaints on a messageboard.

Silent Song said:
i hope not because i like liner notes and discs.
Any reason you can't print your own?

Man! Everyone's got their panties in a real wad here.
The fact is that both sides have some valid points. I understand that the record companies have to provide an incentive for someone else to distribute for them. I also understand that some consumers feel shorted when others get more for the same or less cost. Especially when you're in the country that almost never gets bonus tracks.
But the reality is that most bonus tracks aren't really very impressive to start with. They're usually the songs that weren't good enough to make the final cut for the album, live versions of the new/older material, or demos.
If you feel you have to buy another album or five so that a reject or previously released material fullfill your listening experience you must have more money than sense.

never asked for you to signup to my cause, appreciate the sentiments, thanks for the luck, mtlheart's prediction will come true soon anyways so i guess ill be happy with "complaining" on a message board until that happens

mtlheart said:
Man! Everyone's got their panties in a real wad here.
The fact is that both sides have some valid points. I understand that the record companies have to provide an incentive for someone else to distribute for them. I also understand that some consumers feel shorted when others get more for the same or less cost. Especially when you're in the country that almost never gets bonus tracks.
But the reality is that most bonus tracks aren't really very impressive to start with. They're usually the songs that weren't good enough to make the final cut for the album, live versions of the new/older material, or demos.
If you feel you have to buy another album or five so that a reject or previously released material fullfill your listening experience you must have more money than sense.

adding to this
they are demos in this case, and its not that anyone is getting more for their money. people are getting the same album with one different track. not more, not less... just one different. and its a demo. i understand completists would have a fit about this, but no need to go on a rant about it.

I agree on you with that Silent. I think most of this discussion probably would have been avoided if we had known it was just a demo track - and that both sides were getting the main CD core.

On the the topic of CD's going internet, you can see the signs already. Even Chris Caffery has stated since he can't fit all the music for GDW on one CD, he might put one of the tracks online - so once you buy the CD you get a code and can download the other track online. So the momentum could be shifting for making stuff more online. Who knows what the future will hold? Maybe it will be phased out. I'll miss holding a physical CD in my hand though. The artwork - the booklet. :(

Even computer games have started this idea though. There's Half-Life 2 which you can download through a software called Steam. The whole idea being easier for consumers to get and easier to stop piracy, etc. It seems that companies are starting to embrace the internet then fighting it.

bhcompy - No problem. I think that's the main point both sides were just circling around. The side that wants things to be fair. And the business side where it just isn't possible.

If views didn't differ - the world would be a pretty boring place.

Geez, this is a big fucking mess...
Let me put it this way... I don't see it as a problem or a bad thing that there are one or two different tracks on an import version compared to the domestic one... I think the two maximum authorities of the forum (Deron and Glenn) along with Ken have already explained in a very easy to understand way why is that there's a slight difference in some import/domestic versions of albums. Whether you agree or not, IT DOES NOT MAKE A FUCKING DIFFERENCE! That's the way it is and that's how it's gonna be...
Bhcompy, I don't wanna get into further arguments with ya man... I'm just gonna express my opinion... I think you should conform yourself cause that's the way it is, and nothing will change it! And your whole "whining" is included in that man... You have to understand that in the business world (not to say in real life) somethings can't and won't be changed... It does not help at all to be acting like a spoiled kid... You mention that Ken is just trying to get some buzz and revenue to his company... Dude... guess what? That's life! I bet if you owned a record label you would act just like it... Come on, it's time to face reality!

i seriously hope they don't stop making the format. i doubt they will, since LPs and tapes can still be found and are put out of recent releases of well. whatever technological advances take place, i'd like to think that the visually artistic part of an album goes with it. the colorful cases, album art, lyrics and notes from the band-- these are all things that while not musical, are somewhat significant to the complete artistic landscape of music

Silent Song said:
i seriously hope they don't stop making the format. i doubt they will, since LPs and tapes can still be found and are put out of recent releases of well. whatever technological advances take place, i'd like to think that the visually artistic part of an album goes with it. the colorful cases, album art, lyrics and notes from the band-- these are all things that while not musical, are somewhat significant to the complete artistic landscape of music

Hey, I understand the sentiment. I love the artwork and lyrics too. A damaged insert is almost as devistating to me as a damaged disk.
But I've had to make my own CD versions of vinyl albums and cassettes that haven't been re-released. That means recording to PC then burning the disc. Scanning the jacket and inside sleeve. Printing the booklet, back insert and disc label, then putting it all together. All that would be easier if everything was already available online to say the least. Nevertheless, it's an awsome feeling to hold a self made factory perfect cased CD in your hands.
It'll be okay. It will. Really. :)

angraRULES, if noone ever stood up for anything they believe wrong, we'd still be a british territory, or worse, under the 3rd reich. Nothing ever gets changed if you don't voice an opinion, but if you do things may just change.

i guess believing strongly in something makes me an ass. then again, i'll just say pot meet kettle.

no, i'm saying that if you believe so strongly about it, why don't you go do something about it instead of complaining to what you see as deaf ears. we obviously don't feel moved by your "cause" so if you really want to go for it, then go for it and do whatever it is you think will further it. bitching about it on a forum doesn't strike me as a productive way to change what you see is "wrong" with the way things are.

now if you'll excuse me, its 2:30 am and sleep is calling.

some ears were deaf, some ears werent.. and a forum isnt a bad place to find people with like minded ideas. instead of going to the pub and talking to people, or sending letters to people, i can use the internet, a much more efficient way of communication

I can't believe this thread is 4 pages long.....?

Jeez, you guys...get a life...show some respect in Glenn's house...

Even though there's 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back by reading this...I'm still very stoked about the Circus Maximus CD.

I will be pre-ordering from Ken...simply because it's his release, I love his label, I love his store...and (if I remember correctly)...he'll have some sweet deals on the pre-order.

Rock on!

I don't care what people say - not even Glenn or Ken. I'm the manager of Circus Maximus, and I am the one who told them to record as many bonus tracks as possible so that we could screw the labels AND the consumers for as many money as possible. That's what it's all about - that I get more money, so I can buy more CDs, and get even more drunk at ProgPower!!!

:: sarcastic mode off ::

Okay, seriously, Ken, Deron and Glenn already explained what all this is about, and I don't think I need to say anything. Except this: when we finished the mixing of the album, we were running short on time, and we actually didn't think the 3 bonus songs would be ready. However, the quality of those are fine enough now to use them as 1) a gift for the people buying that certain version and 2) a mean to get the licenses in place. For Ken it's important to be able to protect his own release, and also to be able to secure the deal in Europe. For us (band and management) it's important to have our label(s) happy, and to make sure the album will be sold with equal success in each territory, so we also have the deals ready for next album.

The bottom line is - it's DEMO material that are used as bonus songs - it's not the REAL ALBUM that has been divided out over the different releases. Yes, the demo songs are cool in their own right, but to be totally honest with you guys, even though I of course have all 3 songs here, I never listen to them - I just listen to the regular CD as it is. It would be great if all releases would be the same, but with the market situation as it is now, the flow of imports into Europe from USA (now the dollar is cheap), etc, there's no way to get around this unless ONE label releases the album worldwide. If that happened the chances of selling as much as we're hoping wouldn't be as big as with individual labels pushing their territory. As long as we're talking about independent "smaller" labels, who don't run an own department in each territory this is the only way to do it.

And now - buy ALL versions, so that I can get drunk at ProgPower. If you only buy one version, then at least buy me a beer to compensate, thanks!!!!!

Claus
Intromental

The title of this thread is "Circus Maximus availability". It was started by a what I have have come to know over the last couple of years to be a very good guy. (Ken Golden) Ken was simply sharing exciting information about a project that I am stoked about. I can't wait to get this CD.

I understand both sides of this story and tend to agree more with Ken, Glen and Deron. I understand that this is a forum for discussion and that there is nothin wrong with this issue being discussed regardless of how silly it may seem to some of us.

I think it it sad that what had started to be a good thread with good intentions has turned into a piss and moan thread because some of you can't get every thing in life that you think your entitled to.

Glen, I am one that for the most part believes that you as a promoter should be more transperant than you are at times. However, I feel your last post on this thread was warranted and right on. It has to be difficult to walk the line between promoter and fan.

I have nothing but the up most respect for the work that Glen and Ken do in their respective works. Big ups to the both of you and keep on doing what you do. Congrats on the Circus Maximus CD Ken and thanks for turning Glen on to it. Of all the bands at PP, I look forward to them the most....well maybe second behind Angra. Hey, second to Angra is not a bad place to be.