circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Nightrage – Descent into Chaos
Century Media Records – CD 8236-2 – April 5th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

nightrage_descent.jpg

Sweet Vengeance seemed to be all the rage back when it was released in 2003. Suffice it to say, I was less than flabbergasted when I found out that the Swedish supergroup were returning for another go-around with Descent into Chaos, which finds its home in the niche of melodic death metal. Judging by a majority of the tracks, though, Nightrage didn’t get it quite as right this time.

Contrary to what you might think, I was floored when I heard the aggression-laden “Being Nothing.” Granted it’s not the most spectacular exemplification of metal that I’ve ever heard, but we are talking about a project that contains a former member of At the Gates. Simply put: the record couldn’t start any better than it does with “Being Nothing” and “Phantasma.” The first few riffs found on the latter are astoundingly well-written and – moreover – had me nodding my head in knowing agreement. Nightrage are back, I thought prematurely. Then, Descent into Chaos actually begins to descend into something…and it’s not chaos, in case you’re wondering. “Poems” is a rather ho-hum affair, as is “Descent into Chaos.” However, “Frozen” has some nice differentiation in place due to Mikael Stanne’s (Dark Tranquillity) guest vocals. Lindberg ([insert a million bands here]), as always, puts on the performance of a lifetime; I swear I never get tired of hearing his unique styling. Several other songs traipse along to the four-minute mark without being overtly significant such as “Drug,” “Silent Solitude,” and “Omen.” Thankfully, the album abandons the nosedive by way of the stellar “Jubilant Cry” and “Reality Vs. Truth.” So, it’s definitely not a complete loss.

Needless to say, I can’t help but expect greatness when supergroups are at the helm. Sweet Vengeance was solid, but Descent into Chaos just treads above mediocrity. I sincerely hope that Nightrage don’t throw in the towel after this record – though I acknowledge that the band will have to incorporate better ideas to conjure up another rousing release.

7.5/10

Official Nightrage Website
Official Century Media Records Website