Nightshade - Weilding The Scythe

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Nightshade - Weilding The Scythe
Scarlet Records - 2002
Reviewed by Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Scarlet Records website

Never heard of 'em before. But after listening to this, I'm sure I'll be hearing from them again. Coming on like a cross between Dimmu Borgir and In Flames, Nightshade fool around with death, thrash, black and melodic metal and come up with something that sounds fairly unique to themselves while still retaining an element of familiarity with the big names.

'Lacrima Celestis', the first track on the album, pretty much outlines what the band are about in the first minute. A nice, melodic yet slightly haunting keyboard melody begins the track over a driving yet laid-back drum-beat. Some feedback wails later, one scream, and the track expodes into metallic life. The drums kick in fully and reveal the bands black metal influences, while the guitarists wrench out of their guitars a riff that In Flames would be proud of.

Third track 'Sanctum' begins with guitar feedback riffage that would set JK 'Godflesh' Broadrick's head a-nodding, before the track starts properly and a mid-tempo, stomping metal track subconsonciously turns the listener into a nodding dog.

Throughout the album, Nightshade keep things interesting by changing rhythm, tempo and song structures. The keyboard player manages to add a pleasing melody to the background of most songs, the drummer pounds away happily, and the bassist keeps the rhythm section going.

All in all, this is a pleasing-sounding album from a band who are mindful of their influences but not afraid to add their own flair to the proceedings. I'll be keeping my eye out for these guys in future.

7.5/10