Nightwish – Dark Passion Play

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Nightwish – Dark Passion Play
Nuclear Blast – No Barcode – Out Now
By Dan Fisher

Nightwish.gif

Nightwish, as if you didn't know, play a rather spectacular blend of metal and symphonic bombast that sounds like it has spilled from the sets of a Tim Burton or Peter Jackson movie. After that split with their former lead singer, they have recruited Anette Olson who while perhaps isn't as operatic as Tarja, gives the band a more commercial sheen.

To be honest I haven't heard anything that is as good as Dark Passion Play in the genre of symphonic metal since Therion's Gothic Kabbalah. There is a tangible confidence to the songwriting that seems as comfortable in full pop mode like the not-so-subtle tribute song 'Bye Bye Beautiful'as with the more epic songs such as 'The Poet And The Pendulum.' One of the criticisms of the album is that the verses are fairly samey in the same chuggy way that Bon Jovi writes his verses (check out the similarity between 'Livin' on a Prayer' and 'You Give Love A Bad Name'). Maybe they were kept simple so as not clutter the sound as there are some extremely rich textures in places. Who knows. All you really need to know is the album transcends a genre that most metal purists turn their noses up to, and demands to be acknowledged as a very good metal album in general.

Official Nightwish Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

This is a good albumn, but the new vocalist Annette PALES in comparison to Tarja. Her vocals are very flimsy and the strong music overwhelms her.

Lots of good stuff on this CD, worth buying...but definitely second rate compared to the ex lead singer.

Naturally, everyone is going to do the usual thing and say "Old Singer > New Singer" but, after a few listens, it all became secondary.

In all honesty, without Tarja out front, the other and proper members of Nightwish finally have a chance to shine and Annette's slightly more toned back vocals compliment Marco's exceptionally well (see the track The Islander as a perfect example) and she fits nicely into the frame work that Nightwish has formed.

Naturally, the fans of Tarja will be rapid that she shall be their one and only for the band but I do implore that you give Annette and the album a chance and play it through at least 3 times before casting a few judgement.

This is a good albumn, but the new vocalist Annette PALES in comparison to Tarja. Her vocals are very flimsy and the strong music overwhelms her.

Lots of good stuff on this CD, worth buying...but definitely second rate compared to the ex lead singer.
I agree her voice isn't as strong, but she looks and sounds less like a dog, so I think it evens itself out in the end. :)

I am interested to see how Nightwish will perform with the new singer. I believe they will sell well just because they have invested so much on the new album and it has been promoted very much.

I saw them last month & their performance was stellar. Anette is a great performer & she got the crowd going wild. I gained more respect for her after seeing her perform live & she looked much better than she does in pictures, although she's not nearly as hot as Tarja.

I think this album kinda fails though. It's good that it's something different & I think it's a good concept for them at this point (although they should do something more old school next album) however many of the songs are just not very captivating. They do have many sections though & you pick up a little something new everytime you hear this one. I think they have a good pallett & a lot of potential, but they just never quite used it since Oceanborn.

To compare it to Therion's "Gothic Kabbalah" is just not right however. It's not even a close comparission. "GK" is 10x better that "DPP", but the new Nightwish is still a decent album that may appeal to the hardcor3 fans of Nightwish. I see myself as more of fairweather Nightwish fan. Seeing them play the songs from this album live was much better than listening to them while you're driving in your car, for example.

65% for Nightwish's "Dark Passion Play"

First of all this new chick is hot! But Tarja's voice, in my oppinion, fitted way better with the music. It's definately a more popy album, but popy doesn't have to be bad. And this album is definately not a bad one. The music is still aweosme!

Nah, I can still listen to them. They haven't gone tottaly south. Just a bit cheesy. But what the heck ehhh? Manowar has been doing this all along!

I think Annette is a better fit for the style of music. Tarja tended to be a bit "uptight", and just looked silly banging her head onstage, then doing the "diva wave" to the audience. Her voice may have established the whole Operatic Metal genre, but I don't think she ever personally really fit into the Metal World.

Once they do another album and hopefully find out how Anette's style is, I think they'll do absolutely great once again. There are only a handful of good songs on the album, but I think overall it's a step down the right road.