Nightwish a no show in Knoxville TN

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
So edgeofthorns and I set out to Knoxville TN tonight to see Nightwish and Sonata Artica. We get to the venue to find out that Annett is ill and can't sing so they are not playing. They say that Sonata will play and the show will be free. However, because Sonata is now the headliner, they will not go on before 10:00. What a bunch of crap. They had a DJ spinning records like vanilla ice and shit. The doors opened at 8 and I gotta listen to sir mix alot for 2 hous? I don't think so. We left.

Thank god ProgPower is just 2 days away!

That really sucks. Although, if I had made the drive all the way out there, I would have seen Sonata for free, given that they played a headliners' worth set...but I understand if you guys might not be SA fans and went only to see Nightwish how bad that would be. Sorry dude.

Sonata was only going to play 1 hour. If they were going to play longer I may have stayed but it would have been hard to listen to Grand Master Flash for two hours mixing on stage.

I hope it's only a 24 bug-- we're planning to kick off our PP weekend with some Annette Olson in Charlotte tomorrow.

That would really suck if Nightwish didn't play.

Sonata was only going to play 1 hour. If they were going to play longer I may have stayed but if would have been hard to listen Grand Master Flash for two hours mixing on stage.

Sonata should have played longer, and been prepared to do so. They're a professional act and it really shouldn't be much of a stretch to play a few extra songs that they've no doubt beat the hell out of for years.

Just because of that?? Did you have to enter? Was it not free after a certain time? I would have walked around/hung out, kept myself occupied. Oh well, to each his own. Sorry that you missed out. :(

Well, I have seen SA before and was more interested in Nightwish. Edgeofthorns (my buddy from this forum I went with) was only there for Nightwish as that is pretty much his favorite band and he really doesn't care for SA. I just wasn't about to ask hiw to sit and watch DJ Jazzy Jeff spin records for two hours and then sit thru a band he cares nothing about. There wasn't anywere else to go as it was off by it's self.

Oh well, it's not really that big of a deal, I just thought that those that are still going to see this tour should be aware of her illness.

Oh, we did enter.....that's when we heard the wonderful sounds of Vanilla Ice coming from the stage. I am not kidding, they( THE DJ'S mixing on stage in fron of the SA banner) played ICE ICE BABY. The show was free at that point yes. It's not about the money though.

Sonata should have played longer, and been prepared to do so. They're a professional act and it really shouldn't be much of a stretch to play a few extra songs that they've no doubt beat the hell out of for years.

Thank you!!!!!!!!! My first thought was that, well at least SA will prob play 90 minutes or more to please the unhappy crowd. NOPE. The owner said they only came with 60 minutes worth of music. I guess they use a lot of piped in sounds and came ill prepared for a situation like this. The solution was to let Doug E. Fresh play to the crowd for 2 hours and let the upset crowd and wait until 10:00 to hear any metal music at all.

Your situation sucks, but I have to admit, I've smiled every time you've referred to the club's DJ playing a different, old school non-edgy rapper...Grand Master Flash, DJ Jazzy Jeff, etc. Hilarious.

Good thing I didn't leave a day early to catch that show. I like SA, but I've seen them before and never Nightwish so I was going to go out of my way to catch that on my way to PPUSA, but instead I was able to go to the Philly show a few weeks ago to see Nightwish kick off the tour, BEFORE Annette got sick. That sucks.

I just came back from that show. It was going to be my girlfriend's first Nightwish gig and my second after 5 years ago at PPIV. Too bad, but the Sonata set was still kick ass. I never expected to see Nightwish in Knoxville, let alone get a Sonata gig for free, so I'm not complaining!

I really think they need a break. I saw them in Austin and while they put on a good, pass worthy show with great banter and interaction, it seemed not as vibrant as when I saw them twice last year. Add to the fact the crowd was pretty lame and didnt know any songs other than Wish I Had An Angel and Bye Bye Beautiful. Seriously! During the intro to Dead To The World where the keys are going wild I started a hey chant because the crowd was so damn quiet.

A year and a half of constant touring will take its toll on anyone. I think that the band sees the light at the end of the US tour and is looking forward to a month off.

Your situation sucks, but I have to admit, I've smiled every time you've referred to the club's DJ playing a different, old school non-edgy rapper...Grand Master Flash, DJ Jazzy Jeff, etc. Hilarious.

You got to have a sense of humor in times like these. However, even finding it comical, there was no way I was going to sit there and listen to Jam Master J and spinderella for two hours.

For those who were disappointed that Nightwish didn't play in Knoxville, I feel your pain. I was supposed to start my progpower weekend off with seeing Nightwish/Sonata in Charlotte tonight (Wednesday), followed by the Hellish Rock world tour on Thursday and then, of course, ProgPower on Friday and Saturday. Well, I just found out that Anette apparently does not have the 24-hour bug, because 24 hours later, they cancel their charlotte gig, with sonata playing in their slot. I am quite disappointed. If I am not mistaken, Glenn was going after Nightwish and Sonata Arctica as the two headliners last year (before Nightwish fell through) and those were to be the two bands I would start my 4-day metal fest with. I think my experinces with Nightwish is just cursed. When Nightwish played PP a few years back, Tarja was sick...Now its anette...Well, I still have progpower :)

Ya, I found out Nightwish cancelled the Charlotte show via email about 30 minutes before I left for the concert. Totally disappointing since I haven't seen them since PP five years ago.
Instead of "DJ Mixy" like you guys got in Knoxville, we got some screamo death metal band consisting of members who I don't think quite graduated from High School yet. Almost surreal watching the crowd just kinda stand there staring in disbelief.
Sonata did do a great job and played for almost an hour and a half.
Nightwish (sans Annette) did come on stage to appologize for not playing and Marco was very accessible for pictures and whatnot after the show.
I was happy about the refund, didn't expect that.
I'm also seeing a positive trend in Charlotte. Starting with Blind Guardian last year (two years ago now?), then Symphony X earlier this year, and now Nightwish/Sonata, the crowds keep growing exponentially. Could just be the bands fan base, but perhaps the word is getting out that real music still exists and people are checking it out. I did meet a few folks tonight that had never heard of the bands but just came out with a friend. They were hooked. :)

I basically drove 14 hours to Tennessee from Ft. Lauderdale to see the set again (well I was going to be in Atlanta anyway so technically 3 hours)... I don't know if i'm that upset that they canceled, but they did have an "open tour bus" for Nightwish fans lol. I poked my head in a couple of times.

Sonata should have had a longer set too BUT I seriously wanted to kill myself listening to the DJ for an hour before Sonata's set. Everyone in the audience was so desperately confused and not very happy, including myself, I even got video of it. His DJ-ing went from playing Vanilla Ice to Ramstein and back!

The whole show was free though because they refunded everyones money.