Nightwish DVD - What's going on?

May 22, 2006
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I just want to clear this up. What's the deal with this DVD? The stores on the Nightwish site only carry PAL versions, but here on amazon it says there is an NTSC version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ef=pd_bbs_1/103-9247892-1171825?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Now...why the fuck is it only available from certain sellers for $250? Is this version already out of stock? Did I miss my chance to actually get it for a decent price? One of the more annoying things is that the bastard who wrote the first review says he got it from another site for $25. TELL ME WHERE, YOU FUCK!

Ok, done venting.

CD Universe claims their going to have the Argentina version in NTSC but it's currently backordered. I'm kind of surprised. Everyone had them last month. They sure went quick. I'll search some more for you.

As of right now retailer wise the DVD is only available as a European Import. There are two versions of the DVD. One has the 2CD/DVD ($29.99) which is limited and will probably not be out for too much longer (The 2CD is also sold seperately). The DVD is also sold seperately ($17.99).Because they come exclusively from Europe and have no American release as of yet they are PAL only. You can however play this DVD on your PC DVD player if you have one. The reason some sites and people say that these DVD's, as well as other PAL DVD's, are NTSC is because if you look at the back it says "All Region Code" but if you look closer it says screen format 16:9 PAL. Thats where it fits only PAL DVD players. But we (http://www,impulsemusic.com) have both DVD versions as well as the 2CD ($15.99)

I would be wary of any NTSC DVD from Argentina. They are known for bootlegs and not getting the copyrights and bands ok. If its legit though Hell Yeah and we will sell them.

You can buy certain dvd players that will convert pal and thus you can watch it on your regular TV. You can also set it up to be all region in the event the dvd may be region coded. I have such a dvd player and can play any dvd from anywhere, PAL, NTSC, ANY REGION...............ANYTHING! :)

BUT that feature is usually not guranteed, and it seems like the cheaper ones disappear fast. I was able to get one of the last Cyberhome DVD players, model 310 or 312, I'm not at home so I can't check, frrom my local Wal-Mart for 32.99. My only beef is that it doesn't like most DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs.

@Q: Is the Gamma Ray Lust For Live from Argentina? If, so, that is a PRIME example of what you mentioned. Mine is labelled as Region Free NTSC, when in fact it IS region coded, and may be PAL....Plays great in the Cyberhome!

J-Dubya

You can buy certain dvd players that will convert pal and thus you can watch it on your regular TV. You can also set it up to be all region in the event the dvd may be region coded. I have such a dvd player and can play any dvd from anywhere, PAL, NTSC, ANY REGION...............ANYTHING!
This is true BUT REMEMBER that setting up a DVD player to play all region in the USA IS ILLEGAL. If you don't believe me just think about it, if it wasn't why different region codes? I know some don't care, just stating the facts. I had to research all this a couple of years ago. Yes it is true that a lot of low cost DVD players will play PAL, only issue is they are not made well and do not last long hence a DVD player for $30.

The one that I have is a Magnavox and seems to out preform the cyberhome and apex players that I have used in the past for such things. It's a great find!

I don't think that the act of changing a player fom a specific region to an all region player is illegal. The whole reason behind region coding is to cut back on piracy. If I am buying an original PAL non region or other region than my own dvd then that is not piracy. My two cents.

My advice to anyone into this music is just spring for the all region, PAL/NTSC DVD player. I've got one (thanks Zane!) and I've seen all over that they're way cheap now. It's just so much easier than waiting for the NTSC version and I think you'll save money in the long run.

The_Q said:
As of right now retailer wise the DVD is only available as a European Import. There are two versions of the DVD. One has the 2CD/DVD ($29.99) which is limited and will probably not be out for too much longer (The 2CD is also sold seperately). The DVD is also sold seperately ($17.99).Because they come exclusively from Europe and have no American release as of yet they are PAL only. You can however play this DVD on your PC DVD player if you have one. The reason some sites and people say that these DVD's, as well as other PAL DVD's, are NTSC is because if you look at the back it says "All Region Code" but if you look closer it says screen format 16:9 PAL. Thats where it fits only PAL DVD players. But we (http://www,impulsemusic.com) have both DVD versions as well as the 2CD ($15.99)

Thanks for the info. Especially the part about being able to play the DVD on a PC. I have no problem at all watching it that way. Anyway, thanks for the link to your site. I just got done placing my order there. With that DVD not being available on amazon and costing $43 on CD universe, I thought I was going to have to order it from a European store. It turns out you guys are extremely close to where I live according to the info on your contact page.

I bought mine at the Laser's Edge table at Nearfest, about a month and a half ago. I'm not sure if it'll ever come out here in the US, but the DVD is fucking awesome!!! Worth every cent!

AngraRULES said:
I bought mine at the Laser's Edge table at Nearfest, about a month and a half ago. I'm not sure if it'll ever come out here in the US, but the DVD is fucking awesome!!! Worth every cent!

I bought mine from Lasers Edge as well, and it totally kicks ass! I agree, it's worth every red cent! :headbang:

edgeofthorns said:
I bought mine from Lasers Edge as well, and it totally kicks ass! I agree, it's worth every red cent! :headbang:
I bought mine in a grocery store in Kouvola, Finland. :) Was like 35EU. Expensive, but dammit, I just couldn't resist! This is one of the best DVD's I own. :kickass:

AMBR said:
I bought mine in a grocery store in Kouvola, Finland. :) Was like 35EU. Expensive, but dammit, I just couldn't resist! This is one of the best DVD's I own. :kickass:

You'll never find a Nightwish DVD at a grocery store here in the states! :lol: Maybe a People Magazine, but that's it.

Okay, this is soo stupid!

Yesterday I read this thread and envied everyone who has their hands on a copy of this and has seen it.

Yesterday NIGHT a band down here all bought it for me (DVD/CDs) as a "thank you" for promoting them and this and that.....

1- None of my DVD players play it.
2- My computer's speakers don't work.
3- Since this was released I've been dying to get it and watch it.

I now own it, and I can't even see it!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

Empress said:

Yesterday I read this thread and envied everyone who has their hands on a copy of this and has seen it.

Yesterday NIGHT a band down here all bought it for me (DVD/CDs) as a "thank you" for promoting them and this and that.....

Run out the Best Buys, Circuit City or Comp USA right now and pick up some new speakers! :headbang:

Empress said:

Run out to Bestbuy and pick up a Philips dvp 3040 and it will play it.

I got my Nightwish Limited DVD/CD from Dynasty Metal Music at www.dynastymetalmusic.com and the last time I checked they still had some in stock. It is the PAL version.

Also, a great place to get an all regions DVD player is www.world-import.com
They have many models to choose from depending how much you want to spend.