Nightwish - Imaginarium

Mar 10, 2008
Abingdon, UK
Not sure how many Nightwish fans we have on the forum... just saw this post on the Nightwish site:

IM_teaser_small.jpg

In the midst of recording a new album, Nightwish has been preparing a movie.

"Imaginarium" is a music fantasy - film based on the forthcoming Nightwish album of the same title and its 13 songs.

The protagonist of the film is a songwriter with an otherworldly imagination. He is an old man who still thinks he`s a young boy. While asleep he travels into his distant past where his dreams of old come back to him mixed to the young boy`s world of fantasy and music.

In his dreams the old man fights to find the memories most important to him.

This never-done-before project originates to more than two years in the past when Tuomas first introduced his ambitious idea of the Imaginarium - concept to the fellow band members and to Mr. Stobe Harju, the director behind "The Islander" - music video. He will be the director of this full-length feature. The film will be produced by Solar Films Inc. together with Nightwish.
The shootings for "Imaginarium" will begin this spring, it will have its premiere in 2012 and the album it`s based on will be released in an undefined point in time.

Nightwish will hold a press conference related to this project at the end of February.

Really liking the title and concept. It's also nice the movie is based on the album and not the other way round.

Whoa! This looks awesome! I can't wait til more info comes out.

If only they would release it in theaters in the US. Maybe in my dreams.

The protagonist of the film is a songwriter with an otherworldly imagination. He is an old man who still thinks he`s a young boy. While asleep he travels into his distant past where his dreams of old come back to him mixed to the young boy`s world of fantasy and music.

Yep, that's Tuomas all right. :p

Unfortunately I somehow doubt it will show at cinemas in the UK, but I will definitely be checking this out.

Yea, that whole thing reeks of Tuomas, haha. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

Pretty cool announcement! The title is very fitting for Nightwish, too. I hope the album comes out this year at some point, given that the final recordings (for vocals) should be taking place in March, if I've been keeping tabs on this new album correctly. Very exciting stuff!

This actually sounds like a nice idea. I wanna see how this goes even though I'm not a HUGE fan of Nightwish or anything.

DPP is my favorite Nightwish album and actually the one that really got me to appreciate the earlier Nightwish albums. I liked Once before DPP, but I couldn't really get into Oceanborn, Wishmaster, etc. until DPP. Strange how that works!

I think DPP is pretty awesome, but it's hard to compare it to any of their other albums given the shift in style, both in the instrumentation and vocals. Poet and the Pendulum alone is worth checking out, though - that's one power metal epic you should at least hear once! There are some really interesting gems in there, I think - along with Poet/Pendulum, the songs Sahara and The Islander are very good and worth checking out (The Islander also has a video).

Can't wait for it, Nightwish were one of those bands that made me get into metal. Will be exciting to see what they'll bring us this time!