Nightwish promotes Energy drink????

The thing with kids is they just don't get that they're not immortal. Canada outlawed Mountain Dew because some idiot kid (I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic here but seriously... :bah:) who had a PREEXISTING heart condition guzzled bottle after bottle of caffeine-laden Mountain Dew and died. So, naturally, they outlawed caffeinated Mountain Dew, as that was clearly the logical thing to do. After all, it's obviously Pepsi co.'s fault that the parents of a child with a weak heart bought him gallons of a soda known for being highly caffeinated and then just let him drink it like a madman. Even if sales to children are banned, if their parents don't care then it won't do any good. They'd be better off putting warning labels on the bottles and educating people about the potential harm caffeine can do to children when consumed to an excess. But just saying "you can't buy this because you're young" doesn't make much sense really. I know adults who can't handle as much caffeine as some kids I know. :lol: I have a lazy thyroid, so Mountain Dew was the only thing that got me through school. It's like booze, some people can handle it, and some can't. And the one's that can't have no clue. :lol:

The thing with kids is they just don't get that they're not immortal. Canada outlawed Mountain Dew because some idiot kid (I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic here but seriously... :bah:) who had a PREEXISTING heart condition guzzled bottle after bottle of caffeine-laden Mountain Dew and died. So, naturally, they outlawed caffeinated Mountain Dew, as that was clearly the logical thing to do. After all, it's obviously Pepsi co.'s fault that the parents of a child with a weak heart bought him gallons of a soda known for being highly caffeinated and then just let him drink it like a madman. Even if sales to children are banned, if their parents don't care then it won't do any good. They'd be better off putting warning labels on the bottles and educating people about the potential harm caffeine can do to children when consumed to an excess. But just saying "you can't buy this because you're young" doesn't make much sense really. I know adults who can't handle as much caffeine as some kids I know. :lol: I have a lazy thyroid, so Mountain Dew was the only thing that got me through school. It's like booze, some people can handle it, and some can't. And the one's that can't have no clue. :lol:

There was a story on the news a while ago, also doing this whole "energy drinks are bad and evil!" thing. A young woman, perhaps in her late teens or early 20s, had an undiagnosed heart condition. At a party she drank Red Bull and vodka and it got to her - she fainted, woke up in a hospital, the heart condition was diagonsed and she was told to avoid energy drinks. Now, one would think after an ordeal like that and having found out that due to your health issues, energy drinks could kill you, one would avoid energy drinks forever. But apparently, this girl had an energy drink/alcohol combo again a while later and the same thing happend. This time she was told she could die if it happens again.

Now, I don't want to mock anyone; this is a serious situation and I do not wish badly upon people, but I am simply absolutely confused at how individuals and the media try to spin stories like this into BAN ENERGY DRINKS, THEY'RE ALL EVIL.

NO. Just no. Stop people from doing stupid things. Educate people. Educate them to be freaking responsible for their own actions. I don't wish badly upon people, but at the same time, I cannot feel very sorry for someone who ignores very serious doctors orders about a very serious, potentially fatal threat. Banning solves nothing at all, people just want what they cannot have.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I mean, I grew up in a family of smokers, so I am probably the most anti-smoking person around. Yet the laws that try to be passed against people smoking in their own cars, I am against that. If people want to abuse their bodies, that's *their choice*. It's one thing to ban smoking in public places where others can be harmed, but to tell someone they cannot smoke in their own car if there is no one else in it? :rolleyes: And then of course the other side of the coin, these people who sue the tobacco companies after they get cancer. Um, there *is* a label on the side of every package of cigarettes that say clearly all the health problems that smoking causes (at least they do in the U.S.; I'm not sure about other countries). So guess what? You spin the wheel and happen to land on Bankrupt, that's *your* fault for gambling and taking the risk. You lost. Take responsibility for your own actions. Suing the tobacco companies is not going to all of a sudden make cigarettes healthy for everyone else.

Which reminds me...I have a DVD of old I Love Lucy episodes (yes, I'm a huge Lucy fan), and they showed the commercial promo for the very first episode. It was for Phillip Morris, the cigarette company that sponsored the show. To hear the person in the commercial boast about the qualities of smoking and the "health benefits" of cigarettes; wow, it was really an eye-opener to see how many people thought that way back then. Hell, even doctors smoked! I remember a time when there were cigarette vending machines *inside of hospitals*!
icon_eek.gif

I'm glad in a lot of ways that our attitudes have changed about cigarettes, but people still choose to be irresponsible in spite of all the education and information we have out there, so educating people doesn't always work. In the end, people make their own choices. Sadly, it's always the most reckless of people who refuse to take responsibility for what they do, and are the first to point a finger at anything else when their attitude of "I'll do what I want!" backfires. :err:

^ Exactly. My opinions on smoking are basically The same as Matt and Trey's: :lol: Though I'm all for not allowing people to smoke anywhere NEAR a door to a building, or any other high traffic area, for that matter. I'm allergic, and there are kids, and adults, who have asthma severe enough to have a horrible reaction to having to walk through that cloud of smoke just to walk into Macy's. But in a park? On the beach? It's still annoying as hell, particularly for me since it's an allergen, but it's a wide open area, so I can just move, it's not like a door I MUST pass through. The car thing shouldn't be a law, but as someone who's Mother is the chain-smoker of ages, I can say that getting into a smoker's car is not fun - at all. But I will also say, if you smoke - it's in you're clothes, your hair, everywhere. So when you sit in a car, with all that porous interior, it will be absorbed regardless, so why bother with a law prohibiting smoking in cars? Though it's awful along a highway in the summer! I have to roll up every window and close all the vents and just bake while I wait for the light, or else I might faint. :bah:

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds disgusting.

I never had an energy drink that wasn't, personally. :lol:

What you need is an energy drink that has some sort of fruity flavor, such as cherry or orange flavor. There are plenty of energy drinks out there and they don't have all the same flavor. I wouldn't expect you to like the taste of Red Bull or something similar to it, but a fruity flavor might be better for someone who didn't like the taste of some of the other energy drinks.

Enigma - the same epidemic is happening here in the states! But I think it's much worse because we have probably 15 different brands of energy drinks alone, and the new rage are these energy "shots". I work in a store that sells them and we can't sell them to kids under 18.

The biggest energy shot brand here is something called "5-Hour Energy". I have seen over 10 different commercials on TV for 5-Hour Energy. 5-Hour Energy tastes like crap because it uses an artificial sugar substitute instead of real sugar. Also, they need to stop aggressively promoting their crappy energy shots with all of those commercials.

^I had a fruity-flavored one, I think that's why I disliked it so much because to me, it tasted like the syrup in the cans of fruit cocktail, if someone mixed it into a can of 7-Up. Blech!
puke.gif

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the brand; my aunt and uncle had a friend of a friend who was working at the place so they got a bunch of free cans of the stuff. No wonder they were giving that sh*t away for nothing! :yuk:

^ I had a Starbucks pink lemonade energy drink once. (I had a coupon and got it free :lol: otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.) It was alright. It was too fizzy for my taste, but the flavor wasn't terrible.