Nightwish

chilimies

New Metal Member
I just witnessed Nightwish's "surprise" gig on this Wed in Helsinki. After 5 albums, Nightwish are no newcomers. They are very, very good... About as good as any rock act can get these days.

Vocalist Tarja is simply breathtaking; with her classical training and incredible voice, she can sing like an angel - and the next moment rock like hell... Tuomas Holopainen's compositions also belong to the best in rock with a lot of beauty and power. New second vocalist/basist Marco (of Tarot) also brings new variety to band's music. The "vocal duels" between Tarja and Marco are good drama! ;)

The drum, keyboard and guitarwork are also top class. Few bands have had courage to cover Gary Moore's "Over the hills and far away" - and very few have managed to actually make a better version than Gary did (of course, a personal opinion...). I think, Nightwish did. You'll be able to make your own judgements soon when they tour USA! :)

I am looking to purchase a Nightwish CD. What does everyone think is the best album to get from them? Looking for an album that sums up what they are about. Any help possible would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Ok, I'm probably (definitely) biased here, but I love all of Nightwish's stuff.

As far as an intro to the band - well I would have to say that Angel's Fall First is their weakest album, and not really all that close to their current stuff.

I agree with Mephistopheles that Oceanborn and Wishmaster are their best - but I think I'd put Oceanborn slightly ahead in my opinion.

Century Child is also great, but has more of a focus on symphonics and is not quite as fast (again, in my opinion). Some people don't like it as much as the other for that, but I definitely get in moods where I want to hear it.

If you want to hear Tarja's voice I'd check out Wishmaster. There's a couple of songs on there that really shine. The new vocalist, Marco, is also their bassist, and didn't join until Century Child, so if you want to hear him you'll have to get that. He is not a lead vocalist, but he has recently done a couple songs in concert while Tarja rests her voice so you might want to hear him. He sings on a bunch of the songs on Century Child.

From reading recent setlists, it sounds like a good portion of the songs they play will be from Century Child, so if you want to know what you are in for at PPIV, you might want to get that one....

They also have been encoring with Over the Hills and Far Away, which is one of my favorite songs (and a cover). But it's actually on a mini-CD called - Over the Hills and Far Away.

Ok, enough about NW.... ;)

Jeff.

Wishmaster and Oceanborn are definatly the two best of Nightwish's CD's! Nightwish is such an awesome band though(my favorite) and I'm still not sure which one I like better out of the two but if I had to say I guess I lean a little towards Wishmaster! :)