Nightwish's "Nemo" tearing up the international charts!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
NIGHTWISH's current single, ‘Nemo’ is exceeding all expectations. In the third week after its European release, the song has jumped to position # 8 in the German single charts – the best result Nightwish has ever had in Germany.

Other chart positions Europe-wide are as follows: #1 - Hungary, #2 - Greece, #5 - Norway, #8 - Slovenia, #16 - Switzerland, #20 - Austria and #64 - Netherlands.
---------------------------

I have yet to hear this song but I look foward to the release of the single here in America. They just sold out their Montreal gig in August three months in advance. All 2,300 tickets gone. I have tickets to see them at BB Kings August 22 in NYC. Cannot wait.

I'm not particularly happy.

a) the song reminds me a lot of Lacuna Coil (who btw are heading for the Ozzpest).
b) call me a looney, but I like my bands to be elite. Nnot to break charts, not to become popular, not to be radio-friendly.
c) I do want the bands to makey money and a good living from their effort (job), but when the thin line between earning money and becoming sellouts came, I do fear.

I'm going to buy the album anyway, but I have a bad vibe about this one. "Century Child" wasn't a big deal either, I guess they already reach their peak, and now is downwards from here. :(

I thought Century Child was amazing. "Bless The Child" and "Slaying The Dreamer" were my two favorites. I kind of agree that I like my bands to stay underground but at the same time I like to see them get big and make more money and all that stuff, however if it requires selling out, fuck em. I personally think metal is on the rise again and in a few years time true metal will have another run when all this nu metal once and for all dies out which it already had big time. Then for true metal to fall something big and groundbreaking will have to come out which I can't see would be what. Grunge did it in the early 90's but what else is left. With the large amounts of real metal bands out there and the legends like Maiden and Priest still in the picture if metal gets big again it can stay big for quite sometime.

TheGraveDigger said:
I kind of agree that I like my bands to stay underground
Don't get me wrong, I don't want my bands to stay underground. I just don't want them to turn into another Metallica basket case.

Also I don't like certain musical direction changes. Lately I don't want the way Nightwish has turned from "their three first albums. Again "Once" may prove me wrong. :D

Fangface said:
http://burial.digitalgothica.com/nightwish-nemo-ronnie-mb.mpg
Enjoy :cool:

Cool song (great atmosphere) but I feel a more poppy approach there, because of the very simple playing...
You really like it Flo? I saw the video and that plus the music was like Lacuna Coil (again I like LC, but I don't need Nightwish cloning them). Too atmospheric for my taste, I like Nightwish when they go either fast like 'Crownless' or real ballad like 'Sleeping Sun'. But now...

Damn all the bands I like are becoming dubious these days, I remember when I was able to buy a record blindly :erk:

Wyvern said:
Too atmospheric for my taste, I like Nightwish when they go either fast like 'Crownless' or real ballad like 'Sleeping Sun'. But now...
It seems it´s the same with me here. I´m not too impressed by "Nemo" (either):erk: , but I do like "Planet Hell" (the second track from the upcoming album featured on the "Nemo" CD-single), which is definitely one of their faster and more aggressive songs. (It sometimes reminds me a bit of "Slaying The Dreamer".) "White Night Fantasy", a non-album track somewhere between mid-tempo and ballad featuring Tarja with an unusually soft voice, has got a really nice acoustic guitar-solo, but I´m afraid that´s already the best I can say of this song. They can do better than this! (As far as ballads are concerned, "Sleeping Sun" and "Walking In The Air" are much better.) However, I´ve already ordered "Once" and I hope I´ll like it better than its predecessor.

Burkhard said:
It seems it´s the same with me here.
However, I´ve already ordered "Once" and I hope I´ll like it better than its predecessor.
I'm glad I'm not loosing my mind...alone :loco: And where do you ordered it, is due the second week of June isn't it?

Wyvern said:
I'm glad I'm not loosing my mind...alone :loco: And where do you ordered it, is due the second week of June isn't it?
Yes, the official release date is 7 June - at least here in Germany, so I hope it´ll arrive somewhere next week. I ordered it directly from Nuclear Blast, which is not only a record label, but also one of Germany´s two biggest mail order services as far as metal is concerned. (The other one is EMP.) There´s already been big press coverage of the upcoming album during the last two months with interviews in all big German metal and gothic magazines. I haven´t read them all, but from those that I read I´m not really sure what to expect. One guy wrote that "Once" was without doubt Nightwish´s most progressive work (but you never know what people mean when they use the word "progressive"!). Orchestral parts play an important role on most of the songs, but - allegedly - you also get to hear some of the heaviest metal parts Nightwish have ever recorded. Well, let´s wait and see...er, listen...and hope "Once" won´t be "The End Of All Hope".

Burkhard said:
One guy wrote that "Once" was without doubt Nightwish´s most progressive work (but you never know what people mean when they use the word "progressive"!)
Hehe yep, if adding some orchestral arrangements is "progressive", then I definitely don't have the same vision of this word ;)
At least there's nothing progressive to me in "Nemo". Still a cool song...

Fangface said:
At least there's nothing progressive to me in "Nemo". Still a cool song...
Well I'll need my French ally against the English-Rochester axis in TMG
37.gif

@ Burk: Yes NB is going to carry "Once" in Europe, I don't know which version I'm going to end with. As far as I remember all their albums have been Spinefarm for me, except "Over The Hills And far Away" which was Rock Brigade (Brazil).

I am a huge Nightwish fan and love all their stuff. When I first heard the little two-minute clips on their site I was a little worried, mostly for some of the reasons mentioned above. However, they have grown on me and I hope the rest of the songs will make this another excellent album.