The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Nile – 03/12/2003 – Live at Whelan’s, Dublin
Support from: Misery Index, Dew Scented
By Paddy Walsh
Photos by Shane Phelan

nile1.JPG

Nile

Having seen Nile twice before, I knew before this gig exactly what was to come. I also knew they were one of the tightest and most potent death metal bands doing the live circuit today, their current line-up both extremely professional and slick, while retaining that all important level of passion. Nile were never going to disappoint tonight save, perhaps, if technical gremlins reared their heads, or other factors out of their control marred the show.

First up however was Misery Index. Fans of American death/grind act Dying Fetus would no doubt be familiar with them, consisting largely, as they do, of former members of the aforementioned band. Their sound is remarkably like that of their forbearers too, providing us with a death/grind/hardcore assault that, while intense, is somewhat monotonous. Playing in support of their recent “Retaliate” album, Misery Index are competent and hard hitting. As someone who witnessed Dying Fetus live a few years back, however, I found it hard not to wish it was them on stage instead. I preferred the former band’s dual-vocal attack, although Misery Index have some very good songs of their own right. A band I’d like to think that will improve immeasurably as they grow, and perhaps one day outshine the glories of their past.

nile2.JPG

Dew Scented

Next came Germany’s Dew Scented, filling in the night’s thrash quota. They have been getting a lot of exposure of late, apparently proving very popular with Europe’s thrash-friendly metallers. On tonight’s performance, however, it’s somewhat hard to see why. ‘Thrash by numbers’ is what immediately came to mind as they launched into material from their latest album “Impact”. As a straightforward thrash band they are competent, but it is unfortunate that they completely fail to inject any sense of individuality into their music. As I was not familiar with their studio material prior to this gig, every song ended up sounding the same; i.e. a rather pointless exercise in Slayer worship. The fact that they sound checked with actual Slayer riffs spoke volumes to me, although the crowd seemed to eat them up. However, The Haunted, they definitely are not.

nile3.JPG

Nile

And thus onto the mighty Nile, purveyors of excellent modern death metal and all that is heavy! As usual taking an age to set up, due to Karl Sander’s elaborate computer/foot pedal contraptions, the wait was to be well worth it. Vocalist/bassist John Vesano looked positively demented, exuding a ferocity that most death metal front men couldn’t hope to match. His stage presence (not to mention his arms!) was immense, a man possessed by the music he plays. Guitarists Karl Sanders and Dallas Toller-Wade were spot on, the pinpoint precision of their soloing coming through perfectly. The set list was a mix between the old and new, with Amongst the Catacombs of Nehren-ka being represented by the likes of ‘Smashing the Antiu’, while there was an absolutely riveting rendition of the title-track from Black Seeds of Vengeance. The omission of ‘Ramses [is this right dude? It’s normally Rameses?] Bringer of War’ was a small misnomer, being one of the greatest death metal songs ever recorded to these ears, but the wealth of amazing material on offer more than made up for it. The highlight from the In Their Darkened Shrines material played was the awesome ‘The Blessed Dead’. Sanders as usual deserved a special mention because of his multitasking. From vocals to guitarist to synths, he did them all, and his performance proved he is one of the great death metal musicians of the 90s, surely up there with Trey Azagthoth and Co. A masterful night of Egyptian tinged death metal.

Palladium, Worchester, Massachusetts.
I saw them live, with Amon Amarth (who were very borring live), Vader (who due to their shear talent were amazing despite having an over all borring sound), Kreator and of course Nile. However, Kreator being a much more well known, and apparently more liked, completely stole the thunder away from Nile. By the time Nile was playing half the people had left, and the crowd that was there was very inactive. However Nile themselves were jaw dropping, they had the perfect mix of their faster paced, technical songs, and their slower more heavily egyptian based songs. The sound quality was also very good, so props to the sound guy and whatever speakers they used.
I would love to see them again, and with a crowd that actually like Nile. Perhaps they were just to different for the type of people who went to see the other bands.

I've seen Nile a couple of times. Once in Blefast on the black seeds tour and then more recently (3rd sep) in Edinburgh (no, the one in Scotland). It was a superb show and George was on mega form. I basically stood and watched him for most of the night, gob smacked!

My mate Stu actually FELL ASLEEP about ten feet from the stage. Unbelievable. he's not really into really heavy, stuff, but COME ON!!!!

I saw Nile recently at the London Scala and they owned everyone else, even though psycroptic, fuel blooded and yyrkoon aren't bad bands (haven't heard any killing mode). What sucked balls was the crowd reaction - There was the windmilling of hair and the headbanging and the raising of pints, but there was none of the mayhem that Nile deserve

I almost saw Nile in February, but I left in rage just before they came on because they cut Hypocrisy's set short.

I saw nile back in february at Masquerade in Atlanta. They were having some soundcheck difficulties which delayed them playing and lessened the time they had on stage but they eventually fixed most of it. However, you could hardly hear the guitar becuase the drums were so loud. Last time I saw them there they had the same problems so I suppose it must be the venue.