Nine Inch Nails = metal??

I can't stand them. Definately not metal, nearest thing to them is some kind of techno/industrial style with a bit of goth thrown in to try to be "alternative". But i'm no expert. Not all that important what they are as i think they suck anyway!

Broken is the only heavier guitar oriented stuff they have.

I heard a new song and it sounds perfect for MTV pop/techno fans. Horrible

If another moron says NIN is industrial, I will flip out. If they are industrial, Blink 182 is punk and Atreyu is hardcore. No, no, no. None are true. NIN is pop rock. That said, the only tolerable NIN release is Broken. Listen to Skinny Puppy, :Wumpscut:, KMFDM, Foetus, Pig, or basically anyone else over NIN.

NIN is industrial rock, there is a variance in their song which can lead into metal, but for the most part they are rock. (the becoming or I do not want this are examples) Just because they aren't metal doesn't mean that they aren't good though. They are an amazing band, the Fragile and The Downward spiral are easily two of the greatest albums of this decade, and they are quite frankly amazing. Anyone who says that they suck doesn't quite get their music. That said, they indeed aren't true industrial either. They aren't true anything, really.

Splinter said:
NIN is like a techno, goth rock. Its almost a slow trip-hop sound if you ask me. Ive never liked them. All NIN songs seem pretty boring.

You reckon? I laughed when you typed "trip-hop"! DJ Shadow is trip-hop, Tricky is too (well.. the Maxinquare CD), Saru certainly is trip-hop. NIN isn't trip hop. But I guess I see where you're coming from. It's not straight industrial, rock, metal, pop, electronica or what ever. But With Teeth strangely has a disco feel to it...

It's odd that one of my flatmates is about the biggest NIN fan ever. After hearing WT he just doesn't care about it. Neither dislike or like. I'm a fairly casual listener to them & I dig it for what it is (a collection of accessable rock songs, for lack of a better term).

But at least you can't complain that Reznor's done the same album twice throughout his career.