No One Special, but would like Critique my song/ mix

redwng1

New Metal Member
May 27, 2012
Hi Folks,

I am a long time lurker of AS forum, but was always timid on posting anything I have done because I always felt EVERYONE else's mix/ song were better and wanted to really get better before posting anything. So after many weeks of playing with this idea, I have a song that I am pretty proud of, but would like some advice on what I am either doing right or doing wrong. Is the song so lame that it is not even worth listening too, etc. (You get the idea here). I am really looking for honest review...how else I am going to learn if I try to do this with out any direction? Sorry for the long intro, but I really wanted to be up front as to where I am currently in recording and would really like some tips.

One last thought...would anyone would like to mix this and post what they came up with. I was going to post the stems, but I was not sure how to do it (need help there too) DAW is Reaper btw.

Without further ramblings...

STEMS and MIDI Drums 110 BPM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4zzftxom8rnzm3/RAW JAWS.zip Updated again because I am a dumb ass and left the faders in. This is now completely bare...no FX, no Bus, no Faders...nada. Updated link as of 9/20/13 10:15am

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting songwriting for sure,what's with the distortion guitar/s ,only one or you left them in center?Also sound of distortion guitar could be different,more high,but rest of the mix have a good vibe I like it.Post raw files (that means) DI's without effect (amp simulation,compression etc) applied,for drums,midi track,zip it up and that's it.

Interesting songwriting for sure,what's with the distortion guitar/s ,only one or you left them in center?Also sound of distortion guitar could be different,more high,but rest of the mix have a good vibe I like it.Post raw files (that means) DI's without effect (amp simulation,compression etc) applied,for drums,midi track,zip it up and that's it.

Thanks for the kind words...https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c1owvdj2qv2wxb/Jaws 3d RAW Tracks.zip

Hope I did this right...first time.

If not, let me know and I can try to do it again.

Thanks again.

RAW STEMS & MIDI Drums - 110bpm

Interesting writing. I feel that the "problem lies within the guitars. They seem lacking a bit, in some frequencies, probably the high region.

Interesting writing. I feel that the "problem lies within the guitars. They seem lacking a bit, in some frequencies, probably the high region.

I only recorded one track L&R Distorted Guitars...I thought it was bad to record more than that? Something about phase issues?

You need to record one left and one right,this is just a stereo recording,or you have super precise playing :).So record guitars from two takes in mono L&R and one more thing did you recorded with real amp miced up? If you did,try to find better position for mic and change your tone.If you made this with amp simulations leave DI-a (clean signal) recordings unprocessed.

You need to record one left and one right,this is just a stereo recording,or you have super precise playing :).So record guitars from two takes in mono L&R and one more thing did you recorded with real amp miced up? If you did,try to find better position for mic and change your tone.If you made this with amp simulations leave DI-a (clean signal) recordings unprocessed.

I hear what you are saying...and I did record through DI. I will try your suggestion or maybe just re-evaluate my tone all together and start the guitars over.

I have updated the Drop Box link...if your are interested in the RAW tracks.

Appreciate the advice and info. Thanks

Here is something I made really quickly with first link you posted,no post processing on drums ,just EQ bass guitar (which have something strange in 600hz region and to much 100 hz) and heavily EQ guitar to pull something I consider it could work and moved right side for 0,10 of a second to create fake stereo guitars.

https://app.box.com/s/md3ej4oxtkmljwmmr5ov

Here is something I made really quickly with first link you posted,no post processing on drums ,just EQ bass guitar (which have something strange in 600hz region and to much 100 hz) and heavily EQ guitar to pull something I consider it could work and moved right side for 0,10 of a second to create fake stereo guitars.

https://app.box.com/s/md3ej4oxtkmljwmmr5ov

Fricken awesome that you took the time to do this. Can't thank you enough.

I have only had a chance to listen to it on my laptop this morning...any way I can get the .mp3 so I can compare your sound to mine?

I really appreciate it WallhallaM...you rock :headbang:

https://soundcloud.com/redwng1/jaws-...5-13-remix-wip

I have spent the last 6 hours redoing the guitars...sound, EQ, Mix - and uploaded a second go-round and would appreciate any feed back.

I do see a huge difference with the added 2nd guitars, and I on the advice of others, went in and re-evaluated my guitar sound. Hopefully it sounds better. Heavy low Dream Theater - Awake Beef and a Cleaned up Djent-ish sound split between the 2 guitar tracks.

I also took down the Harmonics that was suggested on the bass, and lowered it a C/ Hair.

I am happier with it over all and I am so grateful to everyone for the suggestions and positive feedback. I would not have been "in the know" with out any of this..so again a HUGE thank you.

I have uploaded the RAW files again...with the added 2nd guitar.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u7dxm7hild3hxa/JAWS_3D_Remix_2_Guitars.zip

Panning mate :) you need to pan guitars 100% left and right ,mix is little bit better but far as I can hear guitars need cut ,start from 100 hz and find a sweet spot.Bass is still pumping low end.Ambient guitars and drums are ok.And dropbox link don't work.

Panning mate :) you need to pan guitars 100% left and right ,mix is little bit better but far as I can hear guitars need cut ,start from 100 hz and find a sweet spot.Bass is still pumping low end.Ambient guitars and drums are ok.And dropbox link don't work.

Everything is panned 100% L and 100% Right except Bass (Center)

EQ-

Bass EQ -

FYI: I cannot even log into Drop Box keeps giving me an error...so I can't check it but it was working this morning as others have D/L it.

Thanks for the response.