Nocturnal Rites - Grand Illusion

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Nocturnal Rites - Grand Illusion
Century Media Records - CD 77592-2 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

775922.jpg

There's something very strange going on when a cover of Bryan Adam's 'Cuts Like A Knife' can be considered the heaviest song on a metal album. But then again, melodic/power metal is a pretty strange genre, and Swedish veterans Nocturnal Rites manage to up the oddness ante even further on their seventh album by having three-time Swedish skiing champion Per Eloffson contribute a guitar solo. Either someone laced my promo copy's cover with LSD, or I'm gonna have to suspend my disbelief for a while here...

Grand Illusion, then. As previously mentioned, this is the quintet's seventh album, so one would expect them to operate like a well-(baby?)oiled machine by this point in their career - and you'd be right. The licks are slick, the production polished to a sparkle and the hooks so catchy you'd think they'd cross-bred with the SARS virus. Opening cut 'Fools Never Die' pretty much screams 'lead-off single', and whispers 'slow-motion effect with pyro on the video, please' for good measure. Elsewhere, though, Nocturnal Rites serve up more metallic fare - coming off like a more thrash-infected and vital Hammerfall on tracks like 'Still Alive', or summoning a vaguely Arch Enemy-esque weight behind the aforementioned Bryan Adams cover (distorted vocals, too).

Generally speaking, previous Nocturnal Rites fans are gonna lap this up, because they know exactly what they'll be getting - a solid, enjoyable power metal album that manages a nice balance between power-ballads and speedy, up-tempo adrenaline chargers. Jonny Lindqvist's pipes are as impressive as ever (the vocals are refreshingly absent of extreme falsetto wails), and the riffs and solos are a cut above the likes of Hammerfall's by-the-numbers fiddling. Those looking for more originality, however, would be best advised to look elsewhere.

6.5/10

Official Nocturnal Rites Website
Official Century Media Records Website

"Cuts Like A Knife" is the same as the Bryan Adams' song in title only. Read the lyrics. Bryan Adam's song has some cliche pop-rock lyrics. NR's song is about a man eternally condemned on the mythological ship, Naglfar, for killing his best friend. And those distorted vocals you speak of are performed by Naglfar vocalist Kristoffer "Wrath" Olivius. Get your facts straight before writing your next review.

By the way, this is NR's best release yet, in my opinion.

Apologies - lyrics aren't included with the promos we receive here at UM. Also, I didn't infer that Lindqvist performed the distorted vox. A couple of other reviews I checked out prior to this one made the Bryan Adams comparison, so I guess I assumed that they'd received more info than me.

Everyone makes mistakes every once in a while, and in over four years of doing reviews for this site, that's about the second one I've been called up on. I'll leave it in, for posterity.

And for the record, yep, this is probably NR's best release.