Noise Gate

lost_within

Apr 24, 2006
UK
I'm thinking of purchasing a Boss noise suppressor (NS-2), but came across the MXR smart gate, which costs nearly twice as much as the boss. Have you guys had experience with either, and which would you reccomend? It'll go through a soon to be my 6505 head (unless, unless etc).

Cheers

ISP Decimator FTW - seriously, hands down the BEST noise suppressor I've used on higain amps. Runs circles around other pedals. If you can afford it, they have a 2-channel rack model that provides both suppression at the FX loop, and also just in the guitar signal itself. This pedal has the least effect on sustain. :kickass:

I have a 5150 head and use the Boss NS-2. Awesome pedal. Full noise suppression. I can't think what the Decimator could do better.
I put it on full threshold and it works like a charm, I use it with batteries.
If you need any more info let me know.

I read the manual of the decimator and it says it's not a Noise gate.
It claims to be a Downward Expander. And having two channels on the "Prorack G" it solves your noise problems straight after the pickup (plugging into channel 1) and after the amp (channel 2) so you're kinda guaranteed a clean noiseless channel.

There were a lot of other things it does to your signal to clean it like a slight HPF when not playing or something like that.
I'm not really sure how this affects your signal overall but from the reviews i can't say it's bad at all.

The NS2 just lets signal through or cut it off which does the job but i prefer to choose something that does the job 100%. :)

http://isptechnologies.com/STEREOMODCON.jpg

why spend the double if you can't hear a difference?

Fair enough, i understand your point, But me personally, I'd rather get the best the first time round so i wouldn't have to spend more money later upgrading.
Sort of like a longterm investment.

But yes I've tried the NS-2 and it works pretty well.

Dude, I have used the MXR Smart Gate for five years now, in both a live and recording situations, it does the job, period. I use a 5150 Mark 1 (Proper) which has gain for days and if it can tame that beast your on to a winner.

The only thing I would reccommend is if you use a power supply, don't share it with any effects you may have in the effects loop.

Not to knock the NS-2, but it becomes completely apparent why the Decimator owns it once you get it. Of course the 2-ch rack version is going to be the absolute best noise suppresion, but they a stompbox model which works really great in the loop.

I never felt the NS-2 was completely transparent, as it killed my sustain for any drastic reduction. But try them all out - pick what works best.

Less tone sucking on the Decimator (if any), better attack, better sustain, just one knob... :)
There are some comparison videos on Youtube (including the MXR Gate) and they are all pretty clear (although you could always say that the tests are not fair because the other pedals' attack or release might have been badly tuned, but the ISP doesn't need any attack or release setting).

For me it's hard to explain. With every other suppresor and gate I've used - it's almost like I can hear where the pedal is and isn't working. It's like I hear the pedal effect on the tone. Where as with the Decimator, it's just as if the noise was never there to begin with. Completely transparent with my tone, sustain etc. And like mentioned, a single adjustment makes it so easy to set. Turn it up until you hear it cut out your signal, and then back it down a bit and presto - noiseless higain paradise.

Less tone sucking on the Decimator (if any), better attack, better sustain, just one knob... :)
There are some comparison videos on Youtube (including the MXR Gate) and they are all pretty clear (although you could always say that the tests are not fair because the other pedals' attack or release might have been badly tuned, but the ISP doesn't need any attack or release setting).

i have one too its great:kickass: