NonExist--Deus Deceptor

HemiGTX

Jul 3, 2002
Wa. State
I love this release, and didn't see anyone else had reviewed it, so here's my humble review of NonExist--Deus Deceptor.

You may read it in its original format here:

http://www.rippenterror.com/NonExist_DeusDeceptor.html

Or just read it here.

NonExist
Deus Deceptor

Century Media Records

This is clearly labeled as "extreme death metal with a melodic edge"--I think that is an infinitely limiting label. This is so much more than that label. This a debut effort and a side project for Johan Oliiva (former Arch Enemy), Johan Reinholdz (Andromeda), and Matte Modin (Defleshed). With that group of individuals how can this not be something amazing? It is. Its 41 minutes of pure, ear pounding brutality. Speed, delicacy, and evil. Each song is unlike the one before, or the one after. And being that it was recorded in a marathon session of 12 days, the gritty and raw aggression never had a chance to be smoothed out. That is not to say this is not a polished released--because it is. In my research on this release (released in May of this year), I had yet to stumble across a review that did this piece of work any form of justice. I see that as a challenge, and I see this as an opportunity to go backwards briefly so that this stellar release can get the credit it deserves.

Drums were initially recorded with a computer, and Matte Modin had the formidable task to make them human. He humanized these phenomenal beats alright. He's a master, and unnatural in his abilities--simply possessed. Fair amount of cymbals, blast beats here and there, and many time changes. This is not to say this is over drummed--it's superbly drummed. Guitar is by Johan Reinholdz who is more used to power/prog metal stylings, however this guy has some pent up frustration that flows very well. He can brutalize and morph into a demon at will. His take on death metal guitar work is reborn--approached with finesse, beauty, chaos, 100% abandon ( You get him 100% here. There is nothing held back.) and with fearless technicality. Johan Oliiva is especially evil in his delivery. By far the most venomous we've hear him in years. He's rabidly harsh and especially evil sounding. He snarls with disgust, spits malice--simply demonic on the mic. And its all coherent, no excessively deep growls that are intelligible. He hisses and spews his pained, betrayed lyrics with a forked tongue. But he does use his full repertoire here. Deep barks, snarls, growls, and that accent never hurt in the pronunciation arena to produce the sinister affect.

) "Entrance [Instrumental]"--For one minute this is a very threatening instrumental--and this is fair warning for what you're in for with the rest of this release. Mid section has some galloping and sophisticated melodies. That blends right into the next sinister song at about 1:50 mark. Total set-up song, and a great choice to start this one out.

2) "Devil Incarnate"--Very fast drumming, heavy cymbals. Grooves galore that make you thrash yourself around. You're helpless, this owns you right now. Blistering solo.

3) "Faith"--Fast paced, but as it slows down for a bridge to the solo there contains within this song--a Dynamic Shift. That lost tactic of bringing a song to a crescendo, only not to give it to you. So difficult to achieve and come off naturally--and this does that. Another blistering solo, so assume that from here on out.

4) "Eaten Alive"--Yet another one that rips you a new asshole! (My ass! My ass!) Oliiva is especially deep--pulling from the depths of hell to bring it right here and now. Echo is overlayed on a few lyrics, for an added evil punch. Fast scaling solo with blast beats accompanying it.

5) "Ataraxia [Instrumental]"--Guitar only instrumental. Exquisite. Evoking feelings of sadness and hope. It's laid out as a breather for the next assault.

6) "Halo Askew"--This particular song sounds the most Scandinavian influenced yet ( And they don't sound that way in general and overall). Has the galloping drums and nice melody. Fooled you! It goes into a fierce riff and passionate vocals. Pattern is repeated several times. Slows down at around 2:30 to only guitar riffs and a frenzied solo.

7) "Phantoms"--Head swirling intensity. Inhuman song. Deepest barking vocals are found on this one with a nicely mixed up delivery. White hot solo, that are in general, always long. Song fades out with the solo.

8) "Ebony Tower"--Oh so groove and hook laden intro--growling vocs that spit and writhe with hatred and disgust. Slows down to a saddening and hopes lost feeling solo, blends into a second solo that has the grand and epic feeling. You know you just heard something exceptional. A great riff blends into the final solo, which has a controlled mayhem feel. Count them. Three solo's of varying and building intensity. Primo song on this disc.

9) "Nowhere [Instrumental]"--Another spectacular guitar only instrumental guitar song. (Recalls a Testament quality to me.) You lose sense of yourself on this one. That's good metal. You fall away from your human shell, into another realm. Beautiful slow fade out.

10) "Delirious Tongues"--Another ass ripper. My ass will never heal after this disc! "You will die by my hand" is the sinister vocal line. Fast solo, inhuman backbone provided by Matte.

11) "Idols & Fiends"--Many ups and downs on this song. This particular one creates great anticipation--you do not know what they will do next. An example of the accent that takes the sinister feel is "Idols and Feeee-Ends". Ultra deep vocals add an extremely powerful element to the song. Fast, slows, fast, slows. You do not know what's coming next--all a delicious surprise.

12) "Divided We Fall"-- This has shining bass moments within the intro( Johan Reinholdz is also the bassist). Blast beats start a slow fade in while the bass adds some sickening notes. Has galloping rhythms and blast beats, and prior to the bridge to the solo the guitar blasts from one speaker, then another. All the while bass is clearly heard from both speakers. Solo is aggressive and so passionate. In the end of the song, as the unruly solo is nearly done, the bass is heard rumbling the bottom end one last time. Song is notable mostly for the guitar, bassist and drummer. Still a good song.

I fully admit that others will not agree with my rating--and I don't give a rats pink and gray ass if you agree or not. This is 2002's best debut release. This is also easily one of the top ten releases for the year. This is my house--this is my rating....

* * * * ¾

The not quite five star is because it is a debut, and because the vocals are mixed ever so slightly to low for my taste.

If I don't review another thing this week, I am completely satisfied, happy, and humbled.

:worship: