Nooby monitor question

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
I dont mean to sound like a retard here but I just received my pair of Adam A7s. I got them pretty cheap so i snapped them up instantly.

I've been use to working on Alesis mk11 actives and now swapped to these.

I'm having a bit of trouble setting these up as I've never used to "advance" monitors, so to speak.

What are the standard kind of starting points for the input gain and volume on the front? And as far as room treatment, I have none, so what would be the best settings to adjust on the back?

Again, sounds really nooby but any help is appreciated

I run everything flat as possible. Odb, no boosting. Learn the speakers sound and use EQ in your projects to boost.a mix rather than the speaker. Mind you, playing a song you think is a great mix through them (flat) then boost or cut until it suits your ears, then you know what your mixes should be sounding like

http://www.realtraps.com/
http://www.hometheatershack.com/
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

NOTHING can replace room treatment IMO, besides maybe months/years of experience in this particular room. holes of like 12 dbs even with O300 + sub and alike wont disappear. settings on the back eq can be usefull in a treated room. consider room modes when choosing placement/height

btw mainly rooms need basstraps (rockwool or rigid fiberglas NO foam) in every corner, so at least 4, and broadband absorbers (rockwool or rigid fiberglas of different density, again no foam, but maybe there is a foam wich you can use for broad band absorption idk) to kill early reflections at least 3 (above and two sides). this will be the biggest improvement for a small amount of money and can be diy

+1 on room treatments.
nothing beats it.

"if" you have a perfect room and perfect treatment.
you don't need to adjust anything on your monitors really.
except maybe loudness level. I personally set to +4dBu.

in some cases (like my room)
I didn't have much room treatment yet and I have some foams in my room , dried up some verbs and high frequency abit while the low end is totally untreated (around 180- 250Hz has like 12db boost now lol)
I set my monitor low end -1.5db and high shelf +1.5db tho.
it's not a permanent solution but it's works better until I found a new better place and treat it probably, this will do a little bit better than nothing :mad:

try and get them on stands, off of your desk if you can. I actually made some stands, they're just concrete form tubes spray painted black with a nice piece of stained wood on top.

Try to keep it as flat as possible on the back, but sometimes you'll need to take a few dB from the low end just to stop it flubbing or exciting standing waves.
Grab your favourite (or best sonically known) CD and have a listen.

Adams have ribbon tweeters so you may find that the upper end of the frequencies seem really bright or detailed. That's obviously an advantage, so don't be pulling them out unless they're REALLY overpowering.

i don't put mine on stands because of potential earthquakes, we had one about 4 months ago and it destroyed my brother's monitors. :( ...but other than that i'd say flat eq (on back) and unity up front (pot @ zero).

also, room treatment is good to have but if you are accustomed to your room already, mild treatment will improve (compensating is key).