Normal Radius vs Compound Radius?

Skadsson

just a nickname
Oct 29, 2010
Germany
Hi guys,

I've just been looking at a few Jacksons and I'm extremely digging their Guitars. But whats up with the compound radius? I understand that it is a best of both worlds thing for chords in the lower registers and solo wanking around in the higher frets. My question is however: Doesn't this result in a weird string action? The action should be higher up on the flatter frets, or am I wrong here?

I prefer a single radius straight up and down the neck.
The thing about it making chording lower down the neck is silly to me, because your hand is eventually going to get used to a having a big radius (like 16 inches and up) all the way up and down the neck.
I find it actually easier to play chords on an Ibanez 16.92inch radius than a 7.25inch vintage Fender radius simply because it's what my hands are now used too.
No advantages to a small fretboard radius to me

Yeah, I've been an Ibanez player up until now as well and never had any trouble with the fretboard radius. but as i said, i fear that the compound radius of jacksons might result in weird string action.

I don't know the technical realities but in practice the action on jacksons isn't weird and I've never noticed the compound radiusing when playing. I find them to be really comfortable guitars. Hopefully Lasse and Kyle will chime in as I believe they both own several.

I've got two guitars with a 14" straight radius and one with a 10-16" compound. I've also owned two USA Jackson's with the compound radius, and I have to say I like it. It's subtle, but it's very cool. It's much more comfortable to play chord-based stuff on the lower frets on the guitar with the 10-16" than either of the 14" guitars, and I notice no difference in lead playing, so it's definitely working as advertised.

*edit* as per your original question, I've noticed no affect on the action from having the compound radius neck installed (replaced a straight 9.5" neck).

Yeah, I've been an Ibanez player up until now as well and never had any trouble with the fretboard radius. but as i said, i fear that the compound radius of jacksons might result in weird string action.

It's not weird feeling at all to be honest, it's like anything, you get used to it.
Before I got my Ibanez guitars, I was regularly playing a friend's Jackson, 14-16 inch compound radius and just ended up getting used to it.
I just still think a straight radius is superior and didn't really find anything 'better' about the compound radius.

There will be no issues with the action because the nut will be matched to the low end radius and the bridge will be matched to the high end radius.

i.e. on a 10'' to 16'' compound radius, the nut will be 10'' and the bridge will be 16''

If it's a floyd, you just gotta kinda make do with the low end because there are only a few different radii that the nuts come in.

the Jackson Neck radii (what's the plural of radius?) is really comfortable to play, no worries, it's nothing that you notice conciously.
the action os perfect across the board (if anything the floyd rose radius could be a problem with some guitars, but I've never had that problem witch Jacksons).

the compound radius is very nice, but nothing that I really need or miss on my ESPs....pretty cool thing nonetheless though