Nov Doom recognition at H&H show.....

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Just got back from Heaven & Hell at the Allstate Arena in lovely Rosemont, IL.

I wore my Pale Haunt Departure shirt.

I was stopped two different times as a result of the shirt.

First guy was an older guy who points at my shirt and goes, "Novembers Doom? I used to work with a guy who plays keyboards for them." I go to him, "Well this must have been a while ago then, what was the guys name." He says, "Jay Garcia", (Was there ever a guy with this name in the band???). He then goes onto say, "I don't like that kind of metal where you can't understand the lyrics." I said to him, "Ok, sorry" Then he goes, "Well, what do they call that anyways, like doom, or death metal?" I say, "Ummm. yeah". Then he goes, "Oh like Moonspell? I really like Moonspell" I go to him, "Umm ok, I gotta go, nice meeting you..."

Next time was when I took a whazzer after Machine Head. Just as I was about to enter the men's room, and I had to go REALLY bad, this guy goes to me "Novembers fuckin' Doom!" I would have given him a cock punch since I was about to piss myself, but then noticed he was sportin' an older Voi Vod shirt, so I had to recognize, and said, "Cool man, nice shirt on you too" and then darted to the nearest free urinal.....

Well, so whatever it is worth, a Novembers Doom shirt was in the house, and possibly seen by 15,000 people!!! :headbang:

Yeah we know Jay, actually he's the ONLY guy who was in the last lineup of Dead Serenade that didn't wind up playing in Novembers Doom! I tried to hold out for a while, but I got sucked in to ND eventually damn it hahaha ;)

I was at the show too, last night. I had an all access pass so I was wandering around most of the night, and watched the majority of the show from the mixing board area in the middle of the main floor. 'Twas a very good show. Phil from Machine Head said he'd heard of us and had heard good things, so that was nice.

At one point earlier in the day I was helping with setting up the Megadeth backline onstage, and found myself standing next to a flight case with a rack of guitars on top.....after a moment I realised I was looking at the rack of Tony Iommi's SG guitars, about six of 'em. I was just like, "Oh damn!" Iommi is one of those few people who I can say I have any sort of sense of "worship" towards as a rock star.

I wisely got out of Allstate Arena as they started playing the final couple songs, so I wouldn't get caught in the crazy traffic getting out of there!!

Thanks for wearing our shirt, Jason. I had on my black blazer with a Thurisaz shirt on, supportin' my Belgian homies, lol.

No prob Larry.
How the hell did you score an all access pass?

Megadeth impressed the hell out of me. I thought they were uninspired last time I saw them live (prior to their current lineup). They played with a ton of energy. Great set too..

Oh man, you left before the end? They did NEON NIGHTS for the encore!!!

I think so, Tom, if you really like those bands. Heaven and Hell were great, better than I'd thought they'd be even. The stage set is impressive, it reminded me of the "good ol' days" of big epic stages, when a concert was an event.

Jason, my roommate & one of my closest friends is the guitar-tech for Megadeth. I went up there early yesterday to help out a bit and hang out. The Mega crew are good people. People tend to think being backstage and being on or with the crew is gonna be a big party, but that's far from the truth. It's alot of hard work and not alot of time to be partying or hanging out. It was nice though being able to come and go and watch the show from different vantage points. Luckily through either being in ND or through knowing people like Willie, I've gotten to see some great shows and meet some very cool people in the business. Those guys who work on the big tours like the Heaven and Hell tour work HARD. That shit is not easy!

Yeah I thought all three bands did very well. I love the new Dean guitars Megadeth were using. Dean Zalinsky and the DEAN crew were actually at the show yesterday backstage. Man, I'd love me a Dean endorsement hehe I need to work on that.

I knew they were doing "Neon Knights" at the end, but after such a long day and knowing what a long drive I had ahead of me, I just had to get out of there after helping my buddy pack up some of the Mega gear.

Hey,
That's really cool that you got to see the show from a perspective that most of us never will. I am sure it is a TON of hard work to set up a show like that.

I agree about the H&H stage show. It was very late 70's / early 80's feel to it.