novAct - Tales From the Soul (To Those Who Understand)

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
novAct – Tales From the Soul (To Those Who Understand)
Sensory Records – SR 3025 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

cover-novAct-tales.jpg

I dislike pretension unless it’s obviously satirical. Thus, when I come across it otherwise, it encourages me to frown in distaste, as was the case with novAct’s Tales From the Soul (To Those Who Understand). No big deal, right? Well, the album is subtitled with: (To Those Who Understand), which has the propensity to alienate lots of people. It did me. However, the band does manage to pull off a convincing form of progressive rock that I still have quibbles with.

As music fans won’t hesitate to tell you, the vocalist of a band can make or break said band. When I think of great vocalists (in metal today), I think of men that can juxtapose great, clean vocals with haunting growls such as Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, ex-Bloodbath). Warrell Dane’s iterations (Nevermore), even though they’re highly original, don’t really satisfy me in the way I need them to. That’s where Eddy Borremans comes in. To say that I don’t care for his renderings would be an understatement; I mean, they’re just weird. They’re clean and everything, but he definitely distinguishes himself from other wretchers through tone, elevation, and emotion. Otherwise, novAct are fairly simplistic as far as music is concerned. I don’t want to casually label them as formulaic, but Tales From the Soul (To Those Who Understand) is overwrought with the cliché, prog-rock feel that all too often attaches itself to myriad bands. Nevertheless, the musicians are supremely talented – as evidenced by numbers like “Hope and Fear” and “Bad Religion” – and the production is the best I’ve heard in a great while. Like I said, though, I simply can’t look past the vokills in this particular instance. And, this also just doesn’t quite cut it in the originality department.

I can see progressive rock fans reacting favorably to novAct, but it’d take a different, vocal approach for me to applaud an effort like Tales From the Soul (To Those Who Understand). This record won’t make you wince, but I’d think twice before making a blind purchase. Check out the Laser’s Edge forum (Sensory Records’s parent company), though.

7/10

Official novAct Website
Official Sensory Records Website