circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Novembers Doom – The Novella Reservoir
The End Records – TE079 – February 20th, 2007
By Jason Jordan

novembersdoomtnr.jpg

Chicagoans Novembers Doom have just released their sixth full-length album, but it’s actually only their second for The End as long as one excludes the re-release of 2002’s To Welcome the Fade. And even though their moniker seems to say otherwise, they’re more death than doom now, and have been for a while. Like 2005’s The Pale Haunt Departure, the 46-minute The Novella Reservoir features an illustrious cast of characters who have once again united to produce a strong record, which is surely the band’s finest to date.

On the same note, Swanö (Bloodbath, Edge of Sanity, Nightingale) returned to the mixing board and Murphy (ex-Death, ex-Testament) to the mastering, while Smith (Seempieces) helmed the artwork, with some help from vocalist Paul Kuhr (Subterranean Masquerade). The production’s even better than that of TPHD, but for better or worse, the cover art is in many ways similar to Novembre’s Materia – another Smith piece – yet fits the lyrical content quite well, as do the inlay graphics.

Speaking solely about the music, though, The Novella Reservoir sees Novembers Doom settling into a style whose evolution has spanned the past few albums. It appears the band is more driven this time around – not to mention faster and heavier. Aside from the overwhelmingly emotional ‘Twilight Innocence,’ much of TNR crushes. From thunderous opener ‘Rain’ to the title track that will remind some of ‘Swallowed by the Moon’ to the riff-fest ‘Drown the Inland Mere,’ it’s apparent ND are out to craft the best songs of their career. Less stellar, however, is the latter portion of the disc, which includes ‘The Voice of Failure,’ ‘They Were Left to Die,’ ‘Dominate the Human Strain,’ and the Woods of Ypres-esque closer ‘Leaving This,’ though all of the above are still good, sturdy numbers. Eventually you may begin skipping ‘Twilight Innocence’ simply because it’s a lull in the action and/or too emotionally charged, but it works well when in the proper mood.

Kuhr – armed with intelligible growls and clean chords – again proves why he’s one of the best vocalists in extreme metal, and the group as a whole have surpassed every endeavor they’ve unleashed this far. And while they only occasionally warrant comparisons to Opeth, it’s too bad they seem to lurk in the shadows behind the popular Swedes. At any rate, The End and Novembers Doom have started 2007 with a bang that’ll reverberate for months to come.

Official Novembers Doom Forum
Official Novembers Doom Website
Official The End Records Website

This is the first ND album that's REALLY clicked with me. I like the one Dark Symphonies released (can't remember the title), but there's always been something vaguely unpleasant about their music to me, like a slight jazz sound to some of the chords or something. This one just smokes from start to finish, though. Really strong stuff!

Oh sorry, I was just saying "hmm" because it seems a little early perhaps to suggest this is their best album yet. Those are really bold words considering the magnificence of their previous 3 releases.

I like it but I still prefer "the Pale Haunt departure" more, the lyrics were more catchy, the clean vocals were better, the guitar was heavier and the album as a whole flew better.

If you like diversity though "the Novella Reservoir" is still good and the ballad (twilight innocence) is beautiful.

this is without doubt a very good album, but i still prefer 'Tha Pale Haunt Departure' and even 'The Knowing'. lets see what the test of time will do to my opinion on this release

I wouldn't agree at all that this is their best album. The Knowing was MUCH better, as was Of Stone Ivy and Stone Flowers. I'd put this one over The Pale Haunt Departure but that's not saying much. Subterranean Masquerade impresses me more these days. For a comparison to a band that ND have constantly been compared to, My Dying Bride, I would say A Line of Deathless Kings was a much better album than The Novella Reservoir is.

The Knowing is their best album IMO, but the two that followed were also very good

"Awaken" and "Harmony Divine" launch that album out of the earth's atmosphere, in pure emotional intensity

I also recognize that The Knowing is the first ND album I heard, together with the fact that they opened with "Awaken" on their tour with Agalloch and The Gathering and it pretty much had people's jaws hitting the floor

I have a feeling that ND is one of those bands where the first album you hear of theirs ends up becoming your favorite

I wouldn't agree at all that this is their best album. The Knowing was MUCH better, as was Of Stone Ivy and Stone Flowers. I'd put this one over The Pale Haunt Departure but that's not saying much. Subterranean Masquerade impresses me more these days. For a comparison to a band that ND have constantly been compared to, My Dying Bride, I would say A Line of Deathless Kings was a much better album than The Novella Reservoir is.

Except that "A Line of Deathless Kings" and "The Novella Reservoir" are two completely different sounding albums. The MDB comparison thing is so old and unwarranted at this point, don't you think? ;)

Even comparing our early cds to this new one is a stretch since we've changed so much over the years....We know that people who enjoyed that earlier more progressive doomy material might not like where we're at now, and we're 100% o.k with that :)

Thanks for the review!

We know that people who enjoyed that earlier more progressive doomy material might not like where we're at now, and we're 100% o.k with that :)

Actually, the way I see things is that some of us have the best of both worlds. Case in point:

scenario 1: The Knowing and To Welcome the Fade work extraordinarily well at home, with headphones, in dim light and solitude.

scenario 2: Pale Haunt and Novella Reservoir will work wonders in a live setting -- not that I've seen you perform Novella material live (yet), but since the direction falls in line with Pale Haunt, and the fact that your performance at HC 1 was outstanding, then I'd say it's a pretty good guess.

Now, when I think further, Pale Haunt works surprisingly well in BOTH scenario 1 and 2, so by that simple logic, it could indeed be the best ND album yet.

Novella generally seems a little more orchestrated for a pure live setting, it's perhaps a little simpler in its approach than anything you've done before. Most of it is actually straight up heavy metal, with some European influence. (Are you a fan of the Amott/Steer combo per chance?).

By the way, a quick thanks for letting the song play out for the last 2-3 minutes of "Leaving This" (certainly my favorite track on Novella). I'd always hoped you did the same with "Autumn Reflection", but this more than makes up for it. Great great song.

Honestly, the way I see it, if people are fans of ANY of our cds then I'm pleased. It's better than them not liking anything we've done at all.

Obviously my view is biased since I wrote the album, but I think people shouldn't be too quick to dismiss TNR as being just simple and heavy. There's actually more going on in there than you might realise upon the first couple of listens. Believe me it's harder when you actually take something that's somewhat complex and make it seem simple and straightforward. Obviously a song like "Rain" is short and to the point for the most part, but so were old songs like "In Memories Past", "Forever with unopened eye", etc. "Rain" isn't really all that much of a stretch for us except being in a slightly more up-tempo direction.

I'm glad you enjoy the end of "Leaving This", Jay. Some people have complained that it's too long......I guess that's reflective of alot of today's attitudes and unwillingness to be patient and just listen, I could imagine how those people would've dealt with your average King Crimson or early Pink Floyd material, which was known to drag on for so long and repeat itself. In fact, my main influence on that song and it's ending was "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Other people have pointed out it's similarity to The Beatles "I Want You (Shes So Heavy)" as well, which I agree it bears resemblance to.

I am a fan of Steer/Amott, I think that probably shows through in the riffing on songs like "Drown the Inland Mere"...but I'm also a fan of early 90s european death metal in general-Entombed, Carnage, Gorefest, Carcass, Pestilence....Albums like "Erase" by Gorefest are probably a direct influence on my writing, actually. It seems obvious to me! lol

Believe me it's harder when you actually take something that's somewhat complex and make it seem simple and straightforward. Obviously a song like "Rain" is short and to the point for the most part, but so were old songs like "In Memories Past", "Forever with unopened eye", etc. "Rain" isn't really all that much of a stretch for us except being in a slightly more up-tempo direction.

"Rain" is definitely a shock to the system. For the album to open with that, and not, say, something a little more traditionally ND such as "Dominate the Human Strain" (reminding me of the glorious "Harmony Divine" by the way), even I raised an eyebrow. But I wonder if you threw it in as track #1 because you no doubt want to open your shows with it? It's going to work better live than on CD, I have no doubt, and it will be a kickass opener.

I'm not entirely sold yet on "Twilight Innocence" or "Left to Die", which is the main reason why I think Pale Haunt is a better album overall, just because I like all the songs on that album, but then it might be because I've had longer to digest it. Of course, I shouldn't even be comparing, but sadly, as a fan who owns all your albums, it's inevitable. :)

I'm glad you enjoy the end of "Leaving This", Jay. Some people have complained that it's too long......I guess that's reflective of alot of today's attitudes and unwillingness to be patient and just listen, I could imagine how those people would've dealt with your average King Crimson or early Pink Floyd material, which was known to drag on for so long and repeat itself. In fact, my main influence on that song and it's ending was "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Other people have pointed out it's similarity to The Beatles "I Want You (Shes So Heavy)" as well, which I agree it bears resemblance to.

No, you did it exactly right. I wouldn't change a thing. When you find that right chord combination, you have to see it through and exploit it as much as possible. In that regard, the song is reminiscent of "Autumn Reflection". Paul's chanting vocals at the end are spot on perfect, immediately following that 2 second drum break...look, as you point out, it's traditionally worked to great effect in the past, right up to more modern efforts such as Bruce Dickinson's "The Alchemist" from Chemical Wedding.

I am a fan of Steer/Amott, I think that probably shows through in the riffing on songs like "Drown the Inland Mere"...but I'm also a fan of early 90s european death metal in general-Entombed, Carnage, Gorefest, Carcass, Pestilence....Albums like "Erase" by Gorefest are probably a direct influence on my writing, actually. It seems obvious to me! lol

Definitely very obvious in that song (together with "Voice of Failure") and possibly one of the best songs on the album for that same reason. The first time I heard it, the main riff reminded of early Arch Enemy, the verse riff reminded me of Megadeth's "Five Magics", and then that entire slowed down pummeling at around the 3 minute mark is total early 90's death metal worship with the obligatory melodic solo intact.

Yeah, if anyone was ever going to shake the death metal stick at Novembers Doom, they'd have a good case with "Inland Mere". It's a song to rip people's heads off when you play it live. Cannot wait to see you in NYC.

This album didn't impress me as much as their older stuff did. Still a very good release, very well done.

This one really impressed me. Couple of these chaps are from southside chicago like me. The cd just flows so nicely and all of the songs are in the right place.My favorite being drown the inland mere as you can tell the amott influences(as someone previously said). Growing on me more and more w/ every listen. A little word to the wise... go out and BUY it!!!

Finally a review that really gets this release. So many reviews I've read are from people who miss the old sound or fail to hear the emotion in the lyrics. It's always a difficult road for bands to walk that refuse to fit into a standard "genre," as most listeners aren't interested in that type of listening experience. I prefer the heavier tracks like "Rain" and "Drown The Inland Mere" on this CD (not to knock the more ballad-esque tracks in any way, just my taste here). This CD is a perfect complement to the "Pale Haunt" disc, and yet a natural progression at the same time.

ND don't sound like anyone out there, and that's an accomplishment in itself. I'm enjoying the booklet that Paul wrote that I purchased along with the CD too :)

I am a fan of Steer/Amott, I think that probably shows through in the riffing on songs like "Drown the Inland Mere"...

holy goat! ... just pulled this off of the TER site and this is some mammoth riff.

what happened to you guys? :loco:

see you in NYC!