Now i really need help!!!!!!!!

jsayers169

The Wizard
Oct 25, 2007
Hackney, London.
Ok guy's i am good at mixing intruments but when it comes to vocals i am completley shit and i have lost my old pre-sets!!

Has anyone got any good vocal reverb and delay pre-set's for waves tureverb or SuperTap 2? I really need some help guy's and i know alot of you out their could help me with this either by showing me screenshots of what to do for a good vocal reverb or delay.

If you could save a pre-set for me and send it to me at: jsayers169@hotmail.com you would seriously be saving my life.

Also any good EQ tips or pre sets for bringing the vocal out in the mix so their not too loud or too quite?

I'm a little confused ...

you 1st say you have lost all of your vocal presets and then say you don't know how to "program" the plugins...

???

As for the idea of bringing vox out in the mix without being too loud or too quiet, ja, EQ can help but thats more the job of compression if you're looking for balance. EQ will help things stick out in a mix depending how you use it because it shapes the sound to fit together better with other sounds it needs to blend with, either by removing freq not needed or enhancing the ones that sound good

for the verbs and delays, just start playing around until you find a sound you like, those 2 plugs you mentioned have the option of saving the settings as a new user preset, its not that difficult

I don't think anyone here is gonna just give you a shitload of screenshots and settings that will sound like magic for every song and every style of vocals you may need it for. Experiment, try it out and then maybe if you make a sample of how it sounds and post it on here for others to critique (if you're still not sure) then you can explain what you did, what you're using and people will offer help on how to make it better

Cheers!

www.myspace.com/shadowdancemusic

1. Don't be a pussy with compression. Slam it
2. Delay are prefered than verb.unless you like 80's

Try to use delay set to the song's tempo.(fuck presets).Not too much feedback, and cut the low and top end on the delay, othersie you will get those EsseSS repeating arround .

Use a desser, also cut unnecesarry breathes, that will let you put the vocals louder without too much noise and will let you compress them harder as well. If you like those breaths, just lower them then.

EQ will always be different and will depend on the mic used mostly. But in general, try to get a nice air, sometimes cut some midrange to take that boxyness out. Sometimes add 2-3db of high mids (2-3k) to get them louder without puting them louder actually. Thats called apparent loudness. In other words, make the vocals cut though the mix. If you dont make them cut through the mix, you will end puting them so loud they will be in front of everything

Hope it helpz

Cheers

KILL THE LOWS.

I usually cut at 200-250 and then cut some more high mids out to get rid of nasal sounds.
Also, I am usually tracking live with SM58's which are muddy shit anyway.

Sometimes i can get vocals sounding sweet but other times it just won't cut i mean the vocals cut through nicely but when i mix down and listen to it though headphones you can't hear them.

I would reference the mix with a song of a similar genre, and compare the vocal level and delay/reverb amounts.
I tend to do quick reference bounce downs, one with less verb, one with more, and then the same with vox level.
The other trick to try instead of compressing the vocal try the oxford inflator works a treat if the vocal is struggling .