Now that's heavy!!! Metallica related....

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_10233894

Heavy-metal fence flap in Terra Linda
Mark Prado
Article Launched: 08/17/2008 11:38:11 PM PDT

HEAVY-METAL superstar James Hetfield of the band Metallica has erected a metal fence on his property on a Terra Linda hilltop, closing off a popular trail and angering hikers, bikers and equestrians.
Someone scrawled "SHAME DISGRACE" on the 300-foot-long, 8-to 10-foot-high corrugated metal silver fence adorned with barbed wire at its far edges.

"Look at the barbed wire. This a serious fence," said hiker Tom McMillan of San Rafael, as he walked along the shiny behemoth late last week.

The fence, at the end of a fire road in the Terra Linda-Sleepy Hollow Divide open space preserve, went up in its present configuration in the past several weeks, according to trail users.

For one of the few times in recent memory, bikers, hikers and equestrians - groups often at odds on trail access issues - are coming together to criticize the fence, saying it blocks access from the Luiz Ranch Fire Road that dates back more than 50 years.

"I now have to get on the road with cars and go another three to seven miles to get to where I want to go," said biker David Lazarini of San Rafael. "It was always open, and it has changed suddenly."

But David Warner of Redhorse Constructors Inc. of San Rafael said vandalism of a previous, smaller gate, and of signs and other property along the trail, prompted Hetfield to block access with the large structure.

"It is private property," said Warner, who does construction work for the rocker. "There was some damage done by certain people. If people were cool, this would not be an issue."

Equestrian Connie Berto of San Anselmo, who has frequented the trail for five decades, is upset the fence has cut off access to the Loma Alta Preserve on the other side.

"It's an outrage," she said. "It's a real slap in the face to all the communities who use it."

Hetfield purchased a nearby 500-acre parcel at 3001 Lucas Valley Road in 1999 and, in 2002, submitted plans to build a 14,000-square-foot house, swimming pool and another 6,000-square-foot building that would house a music studio, garage and caretaker's residence. The residence has yet to be built, according to the county.

Since then, he exercised an option to buy the adjoining Luiz Ranch, which includes the disputed 0.8-mile section of trail that had been used by the public. The Luiz family allowed the public to use the trail and pass through the property with little hassle.

County officials hope they can change Hetfield's mind and establish some type of access for the public.

"We realize and understand his concerns, and we respect those, but at the same time, we would like to find a way to maintain access," said Ron Miska, deputy director of the county Parks and Open Space District. "I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. We can have access, he can create community goodwill and we can work with him on some kind of fencing or barrier along the sides of the trail to prevent trespassing. We have worked out similar agreements with others."

Efforts to contact Hetfield through his band's publicist were unsuccessful.

Hetfield has shown civic mindedness in the past. In 2002, he gave development rights to the county for 438.5 acres of his Lucas Valley land, where zoning was allowed for up to 44 single-family homes. The next year, he and his bandmates performed a free concert for inmates at San Quentin State Prison.

Since debuting with an album titled "Kill 'Em All" in 1983, Metallica has risen from the club scene to becoming one of the most successful and influential heavy-metal acts in the world. The band is planning a fall tour through the United States.

Marin Supervisor Steve Kinsey is hopeful something can be worked out.

"It is an important piece that connects people to the Bay Area Ridge Trail. It's important to recognize the long history of that ridge," Kinsey said. "I do believe there is a way, maybe on a trial basis, to see if it can work.

"I'm ready to talk with him."

Oh my god, he's doing what he wants on his property, how shameful! Fuck that, we had the same problem with the trail on our property with idiots vandalizing shit on our property, so we closed the trail. We're not opening it unless the State wants to claim it back, which they wont. The fucking cops never did anything to stop it. Which I'm sure is the case here. I'm with Hetfield on this one.

HEAVY-METAL superstar James Hetfield of the band Metallica has erected a metal fence on his property....

It's on private property, he has every right to build whatever he wants. Why were they walking across his property anways? That's called trespassing.

Here's an idea: build a new path.

Finally Hetfield built something metal, well it only took him 20 years since AJFA :devil:

Now jokes apart you can put landmines if you want inside your private property, hence the term private. If people don't like it, don't look at it.

This is actually a big issue with me, especially while I'm currently summering in my hometown in Montana.

There are so many places I'd like to go along the rivers here and re-live some memories, but I can't get to them anymore because rich people bought land up and put up gates and plaster the nearby trees with NO TRESPASSING signs. It pisses me off.

BUT, I can also see the other side. Hey, they had money and could afford to buy my old playing grounds as a child. It's their right to gate it off if they want.

It's from this point of view that I will defend Hetfield here (remembering I'll take any cheap poke at modern-day Metallica that I can) because this was the key quote in that article:

But David Warner of Redhorse Constructors Inc. of San Rafael said vandalism of a previous, smaller gate, and of signs and other property along the trail, prompted Hetfield to block access with the large structure.

"It is private property," said Warner, who does construction work for the rocker. "There was some damage done by certain people. If people were cool, this would not be an issue."

Sounds like he kept it available to the public until some worm-ridden apple spoiled the whole barrel.

The bitter irony being, now every metal head in the bay area knows exactly where he lives. It's well known that most of the band live in San Rafeal, that's where the "Headquarters" are, but that story points out exactly where his property is...and I'm pretty sure the fence was put up for privacy. Oops. San Rafael is a great little town, incidentally. It's just a few miles over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. I take the beautiful drive through there often on my days off.

The bitter irony being, now every metal head in the bay area knows exactly where he lives. It's well known that most of the band live in San Rafeal, that's where the "Headquarters" are, but that story points out exactly where his property is...and I'm pretty sure the fence was put up for privacy. Oops. San Rafael is a great little town, incidentally. It's just a few miles over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. I take the beautiful drive through there often on my days off.

I found his place when I did a Google Earth map search... that's kinda fucked that you can do that kind of stuff....

This is where society starts to annoy me more than usual (and that's no small amount to begin with). It is a normal act if anyone else does it, but it is "news" if someone famous makes the same move. If Joe Sixpack puts up a fence on his property, we don't get a news story. Hetfield does it and we get a story. Now, if Britney Spears did it, it would trump the Olympics and Russia/Georgia as the top headline. These are the kind of things we shouldn't read about because it shouldn't be news. Stepping off the soapbox . . .

Oh, and Wyvern:

Finally Hetfield built something metal, well it only took him 20 years since AJFA

Awesome!! :heh:

Steve in Philly

This is where society starts to annoy me more than usual (and that's no small amount to begin with). It is a normal act if anyone else does it, but it is "news" if someone famous makes the same move. If Joe Sixpack puts up a fence on his property, we don't get a news story. Hetfield does it and we get a story. Now, if Britney Spears did it, it would trump the Olympics and Russia/Georgia as the top headline. These are the kind of things we shouldn't read about because it shouldn't be news. Stepping off the soapbox . . .

Steve in Philly

I agree with you in principal here, to be sure. But, it is worth noting that this is in the Bay Area, and believe me you, property owner being famous or not, this would have been in the Marin paper.

I consider myself an almost dangerously liberal person, or perhaps others would consider me so - I'm not too keen on such labels. But after about 6 years of living here I do get annoyed from time to time with the "don't tread on me," mindset of the residents here. It's almost unreal at times. I work in Berkeley, and have for a year - since I've been here we had the whole Marine recruiting scandal (some of you have probably heard of this, the city counciel passed an ordinance against the local recruiting center), the tree sitters on campus, and about a million other things. The motto here, almost literally, is "whatever it is, I'm against it." I work at a library, and customer service at this library is different than ANY other library I have worked at (3 others total.) The sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

Anyway, all this is only to say...that fence was gonna be news no matter who put it up, since no matter what happens here, there is always somebody nearby, shouting loudly, "BUT WHAT ABOUT ME???"

Don't get me wrong, this is an utterly beautiful place to live, and their are some very fine people, and the progressive attitude is more good than bad....but sometimes this stuff gets tiresome.

All that said, yeah, I wouldn't want to live under the "famous person" microscope.

ill do whatever i want with the land i pay for when im older, so hetfield has every right to do the same.

its only a problem because they got used to being allowed to use it. its like that with anything...if you give humans leeway or are nicer than is required, the smallest revoke of power or privaledge from them is blown way out of porportion.

if you give humans leeway or are nicer than is required, the smallest revoke of power or privaledge from them is blown way out of porportion.

You don't have an idea how much that curse erodes our society in here, the famous 'acquired rights' war chant it's damaging the country beyond repair.

You don't have an idea how much that curse erodes our society in here, the famous 'acquired rights' war chant it's damaging the country beyond repair.

yea man i hear ya. its ridiculous.
its like it all over with all sized issues.

when they are given something more or provided with better standards than are necessary, and then reality sets in and they are stripped of some of the extra advantages, they feel the need to stand up in defense for a mirage of rights they assumed have been bestown upon them.

when a bar is set high, human nature is that they own everything below that bar, and to lower it would be an encroachment on their rights and freedoms.

alot of people need to learn they have no rights beyond their basic ones granted by law and the constitution, anything further are privaledges or earned advantages.
the first of which may be revoked to a large degree without the justification for the false "i have the right" referendum by someone who thinks, (due to your actions), that they are holier-than-thou on the matter.

furthermore, more often than not, that person would never have those privaledges even given the light of day in other countries.