Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Number One Son – Majority Of One
Visible Noise 2002 TORMENT 9CD
By Russell Garwood

Number One Son originate from the Beatles’ hometown, Liverpool, and are only too happy to show their disdain for their towns most famous band. I feel, however, that their form of melodic new metal in the vein of Linkin Park and Papa Roach owes more to the fathers of pop than they care to admit. As I stated in the review of this band’s last single, "Hourglass", you have to wonder where their priorities lie when the inlay clearly states “Number One Son wear Lord Clothing”. Fortunately they have paid as much attention to their music as appearance, and “Majority Of One” is not only well written, but just as catchy as their counterparts and generally more eclectic. The band has two guitarists, J. Wadeson and Andy Lister, and the other members stand as bassist Ian Ward, drummer Keith Blundell, and Nic Whitmore responsible for the raw but tuneful vocals. The songs generally stick to a formula of quiet verses and loud choruses, while the vocals range from singing through occasional rapping to shouting. Under these is straightforward but solid drumming, melodic guitar work and prominent bass.

The songs on “Majority Of One” can blur into one while you get to know them, but definite standouts include opener “Contrasts” for the catchy chorus (despite slightly unoriginal lyrics like “So I don’t see things like you do/ And I’m so sorry for my view”) and “Becoming” for the quieter sections. “Inside I Divide” has subtle industrial elements which add variety, and “A Moment” ends the album on a reflective note. The production, courtesy of Matt Ellis, is excellent throughout: both crystal clear and well balanced. My one complaint about this album is that it lacks variety and can get monotonous – the songs all have a similar structure and sound, barring one or two exceptions. Number One Son show promise and with a greater diversity in their music this could be fulfilled. In the meantime this album is a must for all those who follow the school of melodic nu-metal which graces the charts at present.