O/T: Anyone seen From Hell??

TD

HAS INTEGRITY
The Hughes Bros. and Johnny Depp delivered the goods on this flick IMHO. The whole "Masonic Royalty Conspiracy" theory of Mr. Ripper is down right eerie. Disc two as a nice documentary which is a nice addendum to the film. I like to watch or read something non-fiction that correlates to any body of fiction. For instance, before I watch Apocalypse Now I'm liable to read a book on either the Johnson administration or the Nixon administration, it just gets me into whatever era......At any rate, check out From Hell, if you dug Johnny Depp in Sleepy Hollow , you'll probably dig this.

Sleepy Hollow was cool, but I found the Ninth Gate to be disappointing, so I was waiting for From Hell to come out on video. I'll rent it eventually. Right now I'm trying to get over the disappointment of Domestic Disturbance, and find the time to see all of Harry Potter instead of the bits and pieces I've been dealing with for the last few days.

I have it on dvd. It is very good. But I also bought the graphic novel it was based on, and so far it's been totally different(and better) than the movie(it's written by Alan Moore, so of course it's good).

But the whole Masonic premise is still there. The graphic novel is from Jack's point of view, and you know who it is within the first couple of chapters.

Yeah, Polanski was the main reason I wanted to see The Ninth Gate, but at the end I sat there going, what the fuck did I just watch?? It had an awesome beginning and then just seemed to fall flat. Next time I hit Hollywood Video, I'll pick up From Hell. It's not like they ever have Vanilla Sky. Guaranteed in stock MY ASS!!! :mad:

I really liked From Hell and thought the dvd was well put together. Ian Holm is one of my favorite actors (anyone seen Brazil?).

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to secret societies (the Freemasons, the Bavarians, the Illuminati) and have read quite a few books. If you want to know more about the Freemasons, The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall, & Handbook of Secret Organizations by William Joseph Whalen are good places to start....

j

From Hell was way underrated, I thought it was one of the better flicks of last year. Johnny Depp is a cool actor who seems to make smart chioces about the movies he does.

Originally posted by Jeffasin
I really liked From Hell and thought the dvd was well put together. Ian Holm is one of my favorite actors (anyone seen Brazil?).

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to secret societies (the Freemasons, the Bavarians, the Illuminati) and have read quite a few books. If you want to know more about the Freemasons, The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall, & Handbook of Secret Organizations by William Joseph Whalen are good places to start....

j

As a freemason, I can tell you, we can't just murder someone and get away with it!:lol: However, a couple of centuries ago that may have been different. :eek: My lodge pretty much just gets together (once a month), we eat, and we raise money for scholarships and for children with disabilities.