O/T Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes killed!!!!

TD

HAS INTEGRITY
I know this has nothing to do with metal, but man, I always thought she was the hottest thing ever. I was just telling Brat about my "fondness" for her last week. Now would be an inappropriate time to talk about that though. This is sad, she was only 31......

TLC Member Lopes Killed in Honduras Car Crash
April 26, 2002 01:25 PM ET
Email this article Printer friendly version

By Gustavo Palencia

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (Reuters) - Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, a controversial member of the chart-topping American R&B trio TLC, was killed when a sports utility vehicle she was driving with eight passengers flipped off a road in northern Honduras, police said on Friday

The crash happened outside the Caribbean port city of La Ceiba at about 5 p.m. on Thursday on the road to the nearby town of Jutiapa, where Lopes was vacationing, transit police investigator Johnie Cole said.

Cole said investigators believed the crash was caused by speeding.

"The vehicle flipped three times and Lisa Lopes died in the hospital from fractures and internal injuries," Cole said.

The eight passengers, all U.S. citizens, were injured, some seriously, in the crash.

Lopes, 30, becomes the second female R&B singer to die tragically in less than a year, following the death last August of rising star Aaliyah in a plane crash in the Bahamas. Arista rapper Notorious B.I.G. was killed in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles in 1997.

Atlanta-based TLC secured its status as one of the most successful female trios in history when its 1999 album "FanMail" topped the U.S. pop charts and sold more than 8 million copies.

'WE HAVE TRULY LOST OUR SISTER'

"We had all grown up together and were as close as a family. Today we have truly lost our sister," said surviving TLC members Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas and Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins.

TLC recently had been in the studio working on a "FanMail" follow-up set for release this summer.

"No words can possibly express the sorrow and sadness I feel for this most devastating loss," said Arista Records President and CEO Antonio "LA" Reid. "Lisa was not only a gifted and talented musical inspiration, but more importantly, she was like a daughter to me. My thoughts and prayers are with Lisa's family and friends. Her legacy will be remembered forever."

Lopes, a Philadelphia native who provided the raps for TLC, made headlines in 1994 after she was arrested for burning down the house of then-boyfriend Andre Rison, the former Atlanta Falcons wide receiver. She was fined and sentenced to five years of probation, and then entered rehab to deal with a drinking problem.

TLC burst onto the music scene 10 years ago with its debut album, "Oooooooh...On the TLC Tip." Its 1994 follow-up, "CrazySexyCool," brought the group mainstream success, with help from the multimillion-dollar video for the ballad "Waterfalls." The album won TLC Grammys for best R&B album and R&B performance ("Creep").

"FanMail" yielded eight Grammy nominations, and TLC again won the trophies for R&B album and best R&B performance, this time for the hit single "No Scrubs," a savage put-down of loser boys.

But the band was highly combustible, with Lopes providing the fodder. She threatened to quit prior to the recording of "FanMail," and was reportedly infuriated that none of the eight songs she had written for the album made the final cut.

In subsequent interviews, Lopes exchanged insults and accusations with her frustrated colleagues. Their 1999-2000 tour was marred by poor sales in some markets and on-stage theatrics underscoring their feuding.

Arista Records is a unit of German media giant Bertelsmann

I think it is non-sense to get into the whole "who did more" whenever someone dies dude. Freddie Mercury and Eric Carr died on the same day, and I remember KISS fans bitching about Freddie getting more press, and I was like, you know what, they were both famous, and they both died, get over it, of course the one who sold more records is gonna get more press.....