O/T-Saw Blue Man Group Tour last night

CyThrax

May 26, 2003
Anytown, USA
Visit site
Saw the Blue Man Group Complex tour last night. Kick ass show-Anyone that can make music that cool with plumbing equipment is alright in my book. Lots of percussion (4 drummers plus the blue men), lots of bass (big ass 4 feet wide bass drum that they beat with a sledgehammer sized gong). My wife and I saw them in Vegas on our honeymoon, and that show is probably better overall, but last night was pretty kick ass.

They did some cool cover songs on their pvc pipes-they played the first 20-30 seconds of Whip It, Crazy Train, and Kashmir. Then played White Rabbit in its entirety with Tracy Bonham singing and the last song of the night was The Who's Baba O'Reilly (Teenage Wasteland) again with Tracy Bonham singing and playing the violin part at the end. That song made my night-that was awesome. Some great covers-all in good fun. Speaking of Tracy Bonham-she opened for them and she sang/played Led Zeppelin's Black Dog using only a violin-that also was pretty cool-she's got a pretty good voice.

The only bad thing about the Blue Man show was that there was too much singing (there was none in the Vegas show) and it kind of took away from the music, but other than that it was a lot of fun. They're pretty damn funny too.

If you get the chance to see them and you like that kind of stuff-definitely go!

I saw the Vegas show, but missed the tour when it was in San Diego. The Vegas show kicked ass. The spinning/dancing statues at the sides of the stage, the part where they had the "neon lights" desert scene, that was trippy. They are alright in my book also.

I realy realy want to see them. My friend had a CD and it had a little info on some of thier instruments. They were like "this instrument is very complex and took months to construct but it didn't sound very good so we don't use it" they're great.

-Jono-

haven't had a chance to see them live although my buddy "herb" from primus is in the vegas show. don't know if he went on tour with it. but herb told me he was having a fun time with it and he's a pretty damn awesome drummer in his own right. guess i'll have to keep an eye for them to make it here to the charlotte area.