oct 5th metal show of the year

mtndewqueen88 said:
Haha, I was at the show and Opeth slayed for me.

I thought they sounded great, too...from the front row, which often has lousy sound, especially at the Masquerade. I was hoping to hear "Godhead's Lament," but "Deliverance" was a great way to end the set.

Really amazing, though the crowd was unexpectedly rough.

You can basically blame LoG's fans for that. I was on the front rail during Opeth and there were some real dicks in that crowd.

I've never seen people crowd-surfing between the bands at a show before. And this was after the opener (Sanctity, who were pretty good and got a decent crowd response) and before Opeth! Judging from the downstage security guys' comments, they'd never seen it either.

Somebody fell on me and my $400 digital camera in my back pocket was smashed when we hit the ground.

Yep, saw it. :( Were you able to get the pics off the camera?

Oh well, atleast I got to meet Opeth - which makes it totally worth it!:headbang: :headbang:

Yeah! I just wish there had been a bit more time to chat, like last time. I hope they enjoy the Hidria Spacefolk CD I made for 'em. :kickass:

I actually skipped out on most of Lamb of God to recover and then hang out, but I'm afraid what I saw wasn't terribly impressive.

I have no problem with LoG and I'm not sure I'd call them 'metalcore' either.....our nickname for them at WREKage is "jock-metal" -- they're the fresh, new metal band that it's 'cool' to like, a bit like Pantera.

However, halfway through their set I was talking with a big fan of theirs who said they were remarkably bad as compared to their DVD performance. (You saw him; he's the guy Ripper was sitting and talking to outside, light-colored shirt and multicolored dreads.) He was rattling off song titles and places where they had played stuff slower, simplified riffs and rhythms, etc.

He really enjoyed Opeth though, and clearly knew their material well. I was sad for him because he 'ran out of gas' right before "Deliverance" and had to have security pull him out of the front. There was a lot of that, too. A/C? At the Masquerade! Never! :erk:

Pellaz said:
However, halfway through their set I was talking with a big fan of theirs who said they were remarkably bad as compared to their DVD performance. (You saw him; he's the guy Ripper was sitting and talking to outside, light-colored shirt and multicolored dreads.) He was rattling off song titles and places where they had played stuff slower, simplified riffs and rhythms, etc.

He really enjoyed Opeth though, and clearly knew their material well. I was sad for him because he 'ran out of gas' right before "Deliverance" and had to have security pull him out of the front. There was a lot of that, too. A/C? At the Masquerade! Never! :erk:

I did get the photos off my camera! I'll upload them to my Yahoo! photos account soon, if you like. I've played around with it a bit, and the camera works - you just can't see the photos you take or tell which sort of settings are on.

I was with you when that guy - Jason, I believe was his name - was telling us about the set outside. He actually wrote his band's myspace on my arm, remember? www.myspace.com/vitriolband Pretty cool guy.

I don't know about Lamb of God. I am *all* for metalbands getting big if they put in the work, because I love seeing kids getting into metal. But would I listen to it on my own? Nah - i'm having too much fun learning about all the progressive and power stuff these days. Plus, I have a feeling I'll move into death metal afterwards, not Lamb of God style metal.

Plus, I have a feeling I'll move into death metal afterwards, not Lamb of God style metal.[/QUOTE]

CHECK OUT NILE THEY ARE THE BEST DEATH METAL BAND OUT RIGHT NOW

dcowboys311 said:
Lamb of God didn't impress me at all. Opeth, on the other hand, were absolutely phenomenal.

They sounded horrible in san diego on gigantour, and with slayer they sounded great, but still didn't like them, not my cup of tea.