Oculus ex Inferni

Lucidity

Wrath Divine
Jul 17, 2007
Scotland
Hey, was listening to this the other day and I noticed that the lyrics to the choir parts aren't in the cd booklet like they are for Prelude in V.

Does anyone have them or their meaning? :ill:

Sure I heard the word "Acherus" in it

Acheron, meaning "river of woe", is a river that runs in northwestern Greece, and is connected to various underworld mythos. In Greek mythology, the river Acheron was a branch of the river Styx; Acheron was the border to Hades, and those seeking to enter Hades had to pay Charon, the ferryman, for passage. Those who could not were condemned to wander the banks of the Acheron for one hundred years.

In his epic Aeneid, the Roman poet Virgil uses "Acheron" to refer to all of Hades, and says the following to the main character, Aeneas: "Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo" ("If I cannot deflect the will of Heaven, I shall move Hell").

Acheron was also described as the river that formed the border of Hell. In the Inferno, book one of his Divine Comedy, Dante Aligheri - given a guided tour of Hell by Virgil - meets Charon at the banks of the Acheron and pays for passage across (at Virgil's insistence and despite Charon's reservations, as Dante was still a living man during his journey through Hell).

I don't know, and I would also like to know what Oculus ex Inferni itself means. I thought it was Latin, and I went to an online translator, but it translated into something that didn't make sense.

Oculus would mean "Eye" I assume, Inferni is probably "fire". So "Eye of Fire" sounds likely, especially considering the album artwork.

I believe it rather means "Eye from Hell". The lyrics are probably about Armageddon and unleashing hell on earth etc.

I'm pretty sure it can also be translated as "View from Hell" or "View from Below," or something of the like... all of which make sense, considering Paradise Lost, the fall of Lucifer, the lyrics to "Set the World on Fire," etc.

Wouldn't 'ex' indicate that the 'eye' is looking from an outside source, ie. external?

I'm just assuming that 'ex' has a Latin root, so please forgive me if I'm wrong, I know nothing about Latin ;)

Hi everyone, I live in Italy. I was very clever in Latin at school...

"Oculus Ex Inferni" should mean exactly "Eye From Hell"
but what many people do not know is that it's written in a wrong way!
"Inferni" means "Of Hell" so "Oculus Ex Inferni" is like "Eye From Of Hell" :)

A correct latin spelling would be "Oculus Ex Inferno"

Although it has nothing to do with the meaning of the song, I think the band should play it as an intro to their set. And by "play" I mean actually play it, not play it over the PA. I just think it would be cool.

Hi everyone, I live in Italy. I was very clever in Latin at school...

"Oculus Ex Inferni" should mean exactly "Eye From Hell"
but what many people do not know is that it's written in a wrong way!
"Inferni" means "Of Hell" so "Oculus Ex Inferni" is like "Eye From Of Hell" :)

A correct latin spelling would be "Oculus Ex Inferno"

It's been quite some time since I took Latin, but I think inferni is correct. Oculus is the subject, nominative case. ex translates to 'of' or 'from'. But since 'fire'/'hell' is supplemental and subordinate it should be the.... advocative... case... yeesh....been a while. Either way the ending of a noun is supposed to match its grammatical use so the ending of i DOES imply 'of' or 'from', but it does not double up because of the ending, it's just a form of agreement. Not sure, again, quite some time.

It's been quite some time since I took Latin, but I think inferni is correct. Oculus is the subject, nominative case. ex translates to 'of' or 'from'. But since 'fire'/'hell' is supplemental and subordinate it should be the.... advocative... case... yeesh....been a while. Not sure, again, quite some time.

Oculus is nominative case,
Ex means "from"
Inferno is ablative case, 2nd declination, singular

Being this an ablative of place, it needs "ex" or "de" or "ab" + ablative case.
In this case it's much better "de".

Ablative of Place:
Active motion away from a place is only one particular use of the ablative case and is called the ablative of place from which.
Nouns, either proper or common, are almost always used in this sense with accompanying prepositions of ab/ā/abs, "from"; ex/ē, "out of"; or dē, "down from".
E.g. ex agrīs, "from the country"; ex Graeciā ad Italiam navigāvērunt, "They sailed from Greece to Italy."

While "Inferni" is genitive case, "of hell"...

Oculus is nominative case,
Ex means "from"
Inferno is ablative case, 2nd declination, singular

Being this an ablative of place, it needs "ex" or "de" or "ab" + ablative case.
In this case it's much better "de".

Ablative of Place:
Active motion away from a place is only one particular use of the ablative case and is called the ablative of place from which.
Nouns, either proper or common, are almost always used in this sense with accompanying prepositions of ab/ā/abs, "from"; ex/ē, "out of"; or dē, "down from".
E.g. ex agrīs, "from the country"; ex Graeciā ad Italiam navigāvērunt, "They sailed from Greece to Italy."

While "Inferni" is genitive case, "of hell"...

:zombie: