Oculus ex Inferni

I'm pretty sure it can also be translated as "View from Hell" or "View from Below," or something of the like... all of which make sense, considering Paradise Lost, the fall of Lucifer, the lyrics to "Set the World on Fire," etc.

I was impressed enough by PL that I actually went out and bought a copy of Milton's Paradise Lost. Despite the fact that in interviews MJR downplays the influence of Milton's epic on the lyrical content of PL, I find that the narrative parts of PL are a pretty fair interpretation of much of the story line of Milton's Paradise Lost. The translation "View from Hell" is the perfect fit for the intro to a Milton-inspired epic. That is the translation I always had in my head for "Oculus ex Inferni".

I have always been more interested in the translation of the other Latin phrase that bookends the CD - "Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia". I have imagined it means something like "Divine Blah from Tragedy". Can any of you fugitives from middle school Latin provide a good translation for it?

woof

Pennae means "wings", so Divine Wings Of Tragedy is the translation, obviously referring to their past song from the album of the same title...the melody at the end of Revelation directly harkens back to it. It was a cool way for Romeo to tie the two together.

Pennae means "wings", so Divine Wings Of Tragedy is the translation, obviously referring to their past song from the album of the same title...the melody at the end of Revelation directly harkens back to it. It was a cool way for Romeo to tie the two together.

Damn! It never occurred to me that that little bit at the end of Revelation was intended as a reprise of DWoT. I spent all last weekend listening to the two songs again and again and I can't really hear a melodic similarity, but given your translation you must be right.

<flamebait>What a cool linkage between SX's two best records.</flamebait> :heh:

woof

Yes, it should mean Divine Wings Of Tragedy, though once again it's not a correct latin form.

Divus = Divine (singular)
Pennae = Wings
Ex = From
Tragoedia = Tragedy

The correct title should be Divae Pennae Tragoediae or Tragoediae Divae Pennae.

Damn! It never occurred to me that that little bit at the end of Revelation was intended as a reprise of DWoT. I spent all last weekend listening to the two songs again and again and I can't really hear a melodic similarity, but given your translation you must be right.

The section at the end of Revelation is the main theme of Divine Wings (song), first heard fully at around 4:26 in the song. However, in Divine Wings the theme is in Dm, and in Revelation, it's in Ebm. Perhaps that's why you didn't recognize it?

Yes, it should mean Divine Wings Of Tragedy, though once again it's not a correct latin form.

Divus = Divine (singular)
Pennae = Wings
Ex = From
Tragoedia = Tragedy

The correct title should be Divae Pennae Tragoediae or Tragoediae Divae Pennae.

Thanks for the correct form. It has been 7 years since I took some Latin courses. This thread actually inspires me to re-study Latin again.

<flamebait>What a cool linkage between SX's two best records.</flamebait> :heh:

woof

There is a simliriatly there though, as the Revelation song ends with the same guitar thing that can be found in the Divine Wings of Tragedy. Check it out.

I think it would be awesome of SX wrote a song titled "Deus Ex Machina" on their next record because it fits the comedy tragedy theme on many of their albums.