Ode To The Cheesburger

Absolutely love the Vortex. We're going one day, but I can't remember which. :)

Plus, they have cold, delicious Strongbow... sweet elixir of the gods. :D I actually walked up there from Crawford Long while my mom was in the hospital to pick up lunch, 'cuz my stepfather had never had one of their burgers. I got the bison burger for the first time, and I have to say, it was pretty damned good.

Shaye

Speaking of fast food and such - anybody going down to The Varsity to check out their hot dogs? I saw a clip on some show on the Travel Channel a while back. So I might go down there while I'm in Atlanta.

I was out in LA (Los Angeles, not Louisiana) a couple months ago and checked out the famous hot dog restaurant called Pink's. Pretty good hot dogs, but not worth the 2 hour wait in the hot California sun - plus the 2 hour drive each way to and from San Diego.

Speaking of fast food and such - anybody going down to The Varsity to check out their hot dogs? I saw a clip on some show on the Travel Channel a while back. So I might go down there while I'm in Atlanta.

I was out in LA (Los Angeles, not Louisiana) a couple months ago and checked out the famous hot dog restaurant called Pink's. Pretty good hot dogs, but not worth the 2 hour wait in the hot California sun - plus the 2 hour drive each way to and from San Diego.

Pinks is pretty good stuff, but if I could recommend a great spot, check out Tommy's Original Chiliburgers from one of the the original locations in the Rampart area of LA... Dem is some good burgers! They use to sell chiliburgers, chips and hostess pies! I haven't been there in years so I don't know if they still do but I think they do. They have expanded greatly now and the franchise has a more typical menu. But as for the original, Da place is legendary.:headbang: Just watching them slop these things together is cool... Don't expect to sit down either it's just a shack, and a bunch of areas where you can stand where there is a shelf to put your stuff on, which makes it an even more original experience. Busy day and night.

anatomy.gif

theshack.gif

la.gif

Pinks is pretty good stuff, but if I could recommend a great spot, check out Tommy's Original Chiliburgers from one of the the original locations in the Rampart area of LA... Dem is some good burgers! They use to sell chiliburgers, chips and hostess pies! I haven't been there in years so I don't know if they still do but I think they do. They have expanded greatly now and the franchise has a more typical menu. But as for the original, Da place is legendary.:headbang: Just watching them slop these things together is cool... Don't expect to sit down either it's just a shack, and a bunch of areas where you can stand where there is a shelf to put your stuff on, which makes it an even more original experience. Busy day and night.

anatomy.gif

theshack.gif

la.gif

This thread brings back lots of Memories. I grew up in Los Angeles and recall Pink's and Tommy's well. There were a lot of those fast food shack type places in LA. I remember one place had this terriyaki steak burrito, this thing was f'n huge. it would be like making a rectangle out of 4 moe's/willy's/chipotle burritos. This was the SDF-1 of burritos(yeah, I just had to make a Robotech reference).

BIG ASS BURGERS

I take 2 parts ground beef, one part ground turkey, and one part ground pork. Then, I add one or two whole cloves of garlic (Depending on whether I have to speak the rest of the day!) parsley, seasoning salt, paprika, onion powder, diced onions, lotsa flour to make the burger stay together and not break apart, and sometimes Mrs. Dash.

Then I make burger patties about 5/8" to 3/4" thick by using two pieces of wax paper and a wood cutting board as a press to flatten them perfectly, cut with a particular cereal bowl I have to fit these huge kaizer rolls I get at my local bakery, so the bun's about 6" diameter and the patties about 8" diameter. The burgers will shrink to just about the same diameter as the buns. I don't want hockey pucks, and I don't want Burger King paper-thin crap. I wanna burger I can't finish! I wanna burger that doesn't leave room for fries or any other sides!

Then if I have enough friends over, a sheet of aluminum foil folded in half to sizzle a 1/4 pack of bacon. The mushrooms and the cheese go on to the burgers with 2 minutes to go. I want the shrooms trapped by molten cheese, then the bacon gets mashed into the cheese on top.

After that, it's how you want it built.

These suckers are so damned big by the time I'm done with them, I gotta use both hands to mash it all together enough to even fit in my jaws.

Just thought of something.... I've got scrap strips of stainless steel from a project here at work. I'm making me a burger cutter! Screw that cereal bowl!

HAIL!

This thread brings back lots of Memories. I grew up in Los Angeles and recall Pink's and Tommy's well. There were a lot of those fast food shack type places in LA. I remember one place had this terriyaki steak burrito, this thing was f'n huge. it would be like making a rectangle out of 4 moe's/willy's/chipotle burritos. This was the SDF-1 of burritos(yeah, I just had to make a Robotech reference).

There's a place (serious hole in the wall) called Garduno's in Montebello on Whittier Blvd that has an obscenely huge burrito! They also have Pastrami Sandwiches and Burgers... I love LA food shack type places, they are everywhere and they have a huge variety of different stuff. I miss those huge Pastramis on a dipped roll with nothing but mustard and pickle... Every time I'm back in LA I pick one up...
2904528899_36c962b6b5.jpg

Doesn't hold a candle to the 20-egg omelette at Waffle House.

No, it isn't on the menu. But back in the ol' days when my roommate used to work there, the cook at their WH would actually make a 20-egg omelette on a dare. And it was free if you could finish it. :)

anatomy.gif

theshack.gif

la.gif

....tommy's is the BEST!...chili cheese fries at 2am after a concert........yummmmmmmmmmmm.........

those were good times....................sigh........