circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Of Graves and Gods – Slit Throat Andromeda
Candlelight Records – CDL296 – March 7th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

slitthroatandromeda_cover.jpg

March right in and take a seat because it’s been about 17 minutes since you’ve been exposed to any branch of –core, and you look like you’re in need of a recharge. So if you haven’t closed your browser, or moved on to another section of our fine webzine, then let deathcore purveyors Of Graves and Gods introduce you to their debut entry, Slit Throat Andromeda. It’s pretty good for a first try, but I doubt it’ll cause much of a stir – especially when one factors in all the great –core efforts of recent memory. Still I think there’s a fair amount of potential here, leaving these gentlemen classifiable as anything but a “lost cause.”

Though not nearly as brutal as All Shall Perish or Despised Icon, this New Mexico-based group does draw off those above or those of a similar persuasion – as well as breakdown-fixated Unearth and others of their ilk – to achieve quite a frenetic hybrid. Of Graves and Gods don’t bludgeon like their cousins do, though, in spite of the wall of sound they employ. Nevertheless, the musical performances are solid for such a young band, and their overall approach is as thick as mud. Industrial and melodic elements riddle the recording while gruff vocals, near-ubiquitous double-bass, and spiky guitars hold the actual fort down. For the most part, I’ve noticed that there’s seldom only one style of –core on a –core release, and the trend continues with Slit Throat Andromeda’s noticeable metalcore and hardcore tendencies. “Scars Make Memories” serves as an example of what I just described. Now, songs such as “That Which Comes Between Pt. 2” and “Internal Holocaust” course through a similar vein, but feel much heavier than their counterparts, which increases the worth of Of Graves and Gods by a narrow margin.

Even when touting 11 tracks, or 50 minutes of music if you will, it’s obvious that they aren’t going to be kings of the –core hill with only a debut. In short, I think they need some more time to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack, and of course improve in the process. Slit Throat Andromeda does indeed surpass numerous efforts I’ve heard from far inferior bands, but it doesn’t cut the mustard on several counts. As I said, I believe Of Graves and Gods have potential, and I hope it doesn’t go to waste. I wish them well, plus happy, uh, deathcoreing.

5.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Candlelight Records Website