Of Mice and Men - Of Mice and Men

LeoBurgg

Feb 16, 2010
Bronx, NY
I can't get over how big the bass sounds on this record. There's so much low end it's not even funny. I've read stuff about how you do the sine wave trick on your bass tracks. Was it the same case for this album? What was used to record the bass, and would you mind sharing some insight on the processing of the bass? Thanks.

Pretty sure the sine wave thing was only used on the new Emmure record, but don't quote me on that. It's just the right bass, good playing, tight editing with a strong kick and bass relationship. Probably the most difficult thing to get right haha.

Shouldn't have to worry about generating a sine wave until your lowest fundamental starts getting muddy. I'm sure the Emmure album was tuned down to no end.

If the sine trick was used or not the bass is fine tuned in melodyne if not programmed.
And in talking general here not for this specific album

Yeah, I figured it was tuned or programmed, it just sounds so fat and big. There is so much low end, but it seems controlled and not all over the place.

Its the sim he uses or at least used to use (although it still sounds like he does)

I use the same sim he does. The sim + C4 is the perfect combo for my bass stuff

You can buy a UAD1 card with nigel for like 130 bucks used on ebay...

Would i be able to use the uad1 card with windows 7? the system requirements says this:

Windows platform:

* Microsoft Windows XP (Home, Pro, or x64 Edition), Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista

* VST compatible host application software, such as Steinberg Cubase or Nuendo

What's up with the cleans in this album? It sounds like the verb was automated so whenever the singer held a longer note, the amount of verb increased and decreased when the note ended so it wouldn't have a long tail. And in between syllables and stuff too, because it sounds like that, though the pronunciation is really clear.