Off Topic (as always): Cooking Thread

DarkNoise

Grotesque Butchery Rabbit
So I'm making spaghetti tonight for the household, and thought I'd start the thread to see first of all what seasonings/spices would you all use (other than essence of laura, will). I'm thinking of throwing a bit of Oregano with some Cilantro maybe.

Also, what're your recipes for good food/pastries/etc? And Peanut Butter sandwiches or cereal only count if you're creative with them (ie putting peanut butter in with your cheerios, or bannana/peanutbutter/jelly sandwich)

For this forum, food is ON topic.

For pasta sauce, one thing I like to incorporate is green bell peppers. I think it adds something nice. Finely diced, cooked into the sauce to help flavor it. I tend to use a lot of garlic, finely chopped red onions, parsley, and red wine vingear to fill out the flavors. I prefer parsley over oregano because oregano can a LONG way.

flax meal/water/peanut butter/chocolate whey protein

cottage cheese also blends well with berries for a pancake syrup
and, for pancakes: cottage cheese, whole wheat flour, egg whites, whey protein (vanilla or chocolate), flax meal (or seed)
mix that shit for an awesome pancake mix, you probably should blend it to grind up the c.cheese.

The perfect tomato sauce.

Roasted Garlic
Vidalia Onion
Red Wine
Red Pepper Flakes
Canned Crushed Tomatoes (You can use fresh roasted tomatoes, too)
SUGAR (the most underrated aspect of tomato sauce. cut the acidity)
Oregano
Basil
Thyme (very prevailant throughout Mediterranean cuisine)
Rosemary (very little)

use all fresh herbs

You can also add carrots and celery if you want. It's the classical way, but it's not necessary.

If this is creative enough to mention peanut butter...
Here's a recipe for energy bars that require no baking
A cup and a half of peanut butter
3/4 cup of flavored soy protein powder
A little milk (to turn the powder into paste)
Honey
Some dried fruit of your choice
Mix them well, and heat it enough to melt it (but don't burn it)

Then mix in 2 cups of any grain of your choice (cereal, oats, puffed rice, it doesn't really matter).
(Grind the grains in a food processor beforehand, if you want the bars to be more consistent)

Mix the grains into the semi-melted paste, then press it into a pan. Cut it up into 8 slices, and coat with half a cup of flavored yogurt.
Let it sit in the fridge over night, or place it in the freezer for an hour or so, to harden. And that's it.

:mad::mad: You are all nuts!
2 years ago I started a cooking thread and almost no one participated!!! :mad:

heh, ok red sauce is the basic of the basic:
You can wither go with a heavy/ bold one: by adding a can of tomato paste as well, into the sauce.
It's really thick: and you'll need to add half a cup of water into the mix, but once the water evaporate: and the paste becomes softer: it gives the tomato sauce such a heavy bold flavor: YUMMY!

I agree with Jim: Bell peppers are fantastic, I also love to add big pieces of mushrooms, fresh herbs from my garden, a lot of garlic and sometimes Prosciutto that adds a lot!

For lighter sauces and for: "summer pastas" (Chris will prolly tell you all about Summer pastas in Italy- YUMMMM)
add half a jar of the tomato sauce: then finely chop 3-2 VERY ripe tomatos and add them to the mix... the sauce will be lighter and more refreshing.
For best results: just add fresh basil, a couple of pieces of squash: fresh parmesan on top and enjoy!

I'm suprised Kevin hasn't made an appearance on this thread yet.

He must be busy or something........doing busy things like shortbus parties and banging Fitz from The Wolf's wife.

Word.
I prefer to eat food rather than cook it. Don't get me wrong, I love to chef it up in the kitchen now and again, but I just don't usually have time to cook. I made some bitchin 12am scrambled eggs with turkey and cheese last night though!

Spaghetti Carbonara. The end of everything. There is none higher.

Perfect time of year because it's getting cold and it's too heavy to eat during the summer, although I do anyway, hehe.

spaghetti-carbonara.jpg

The be all, end all.

Just look at those perfectly cooked spaghetti, probably #7, stained with the egg and montasio mixture, that perfectly cooked speck, topped with grated parmesano and black pepper. Fuck the world.

If this is creative enough to mention peanut butter...
Here's a recipe for energy bars that require no baking
A cup and a half of peanut butter
3/4 cup of flavored soy protein powder
A little milk (to turn the powder into paste)
Honey
Some dried fruit of your choice
Mix them well, and heat it enough to melt it (but don't burn it)

Then mix in 2 cups of any grain of your choice (cereal, oats, puffed rice, it doesn't really matter).
(Grind the grains in a food processor beforehand, if you want the bars to be more consistent)

Mix the grains into the semi-melted paste, then press it into a pan. Cut it up into 8 slices, and coat with half a cup of flavored yogurt.
Let it sit in the fridge over night, or place it in the freezer for an hour or so, to harden. And that's it.

Mmmmmmm, I bet dates would taste good in that. I'm so gonna make that. I could live off of anything meal bar. LOL, I may use chocolate to replace the yogurt. :loco:

It doesn't really matter what you use. Chocolate would probably go good with it, but you'd have to make a chocolate frosting. Just melting chocolate on it won't work as well, since it will crack after it hardens.
You could mix chocolate into the yogurt though. That would probably be really good.

I will let you know how it turns out. I need to write it down for the next store run.

I never thought about the chocolate cracking. It's a good thing your not away before I hit the store LOL. I'm a so so cook that ruins allot of things because I jump right in and get excited. I get too "Creative" sometimes too. I ruined a pumpkin pie last night that way. :( and it was from the libby's can.

I love spaghetti, but my Fiance' doesnt like anything in it so I can't make it the way I like it. He hates mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and most of everything but the meat and the sauce.

I prefer to eat food rather than cook it. Don't get me wrong, I love to chef it up in the kitchen now and again, but I just don't usually have time to cook. I made some bitchin 12am scrambled eggs with turkey and cheese last night though!

Bitchin!

I've had my drunken antics of trying to create an egg and cheese sandwich and the turn out......well, have you ever heard the term "Orphange sandwich"?

Not too terribly weird, Marshmallow Paste and Peanut Butter. Need something to wash it down though; terribly sticky.