Ohm? (The band, not speaker impedance)

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Anyone here familiar with Chris Poland's band Ohm? I heard some clips of the first album the other day and thought I might buy it. Any particular album(s) you might recommend?

Cheers.
-Steve

Get them both, they kick ass.

Ohm.
Amino Acid Flashback.

I must admit I'm not sure if there's any newer ones out. :lol:

If you get Ohm first you'll be hooked by the very first guitar line.

Yes, there is a third album, and it's every bit as good as the first two. It's called Circus of Sound.

Ohm is one of my favorite fusion bands, honestly. Poland has a wonderful ear for melodies, superb songwriting.

All three records are excellent.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

From the little bit I've heard of the first album, Chris Poland's style and phrasing sounded cool and at some points were reminiscent of some of the early Megadeth solos... At least, you could tell it was the same guitarist.

I think I'll pull the trigger on an album or two.

Cheers!

Ohm is seriously great stuff. If I could ever figure out the way Poland does those wicked legato runs, my life would be complete. :lol:

I have all 3 albums, love the to death.
IMO Chris Poland is in the top 10 in the rock guitar world for phrasing and emotion in his playing

Hmm, this sounds mighty intriguing I must say, I dig fusion, especially with metal influences! (surprise surprise :lol: )

Hmm, this sounds mighty intriguing I must say, I dig fusion, especially with metal influences! (surprise surprise :lol: )

There actually isn't that much in the way of metal influence on the sound to be honest.
On the album Amino Acid Flashback, there was only one song with metal riffing and clear metal influence and even then it didn't make up a majority of the song. When you put on OHM: you really need to listen to jazz fusion ears, because if you're expecting to hear a fair bit of metal in there you'll just be disappointed.
If you can look past that aspect, IMO all 3 OHM: albums are the greatest achievements in jazz fusion this decade IMO.

I have all 3 albums, love the to death.
IMO Chris Poland is in the top 10 in the rock guitar world for phrasing and emotion in his playing

I have to agree. He is a very, VERY tasty player. His leads on The System Has Failed (Megadeth) were absolutely awesome. He is just such a smooth and fluent player.

This video I find very inspirational...

Last edited by a moderator:
What is also awesome is how he kept his identity as a player over the years.
Even though his playing has improved since then, listening to the latest OHM: album and his work on Peace Sells But Who's Buying?, you can tell it's still him because his style is so unique.

Yeh man...those ridiculous legato runs are just such a distinctive sound. I couldn't count the number of hours I invested in my playing when I was 16 trying to sound like that! :lol:

There actually isn't that much in the way of metal influence on the sound to be honest.
On the album Amino Acid Flashback, there was only one song with metal riffing and clear metal influence and even then it didn't make up a majority of the song. When you put on OHM: you really need to listen to jazz fusion ears, because if you're expecting to hear a fair bit of metal in there you'll just be disappointed.
If you can look past that aspect, IMO all 3 OHM: albums are the greatest achievements in jazz fusion this decade IMO.

Yeah, I'm not expecting any double bass walls or chugga chuggas, more just some aggressive metal-style lead phrasing and a little distortion to make me wet myself :D Or maybe he did pull an Alex Skolnick and completely jump ship for awhile, but I'll find out soon enough!