okay guys the roots of metal

Does Thin Lizzy's Emerald sound like a Slough Feg song to anyone else? I know they were a big influence on them, but it's such an awesome song.

KILL TULLY said:
I've been trying to find shit like this forever. Examples of heavy music that was wayyyyy before it's time. Not just like, slightly heavy or 'extreme' but blatant examples of heavy-ness. I really wanna find death metal vocals from the 60's or 70's.

iirc one time i read something about a prog band from the 60s that pretty much nailed black metal aesthetics (vocals and all) on one of their albums but i'll be damned if i remember who they were

Guthrum said:
I know what band you're talking about, Demilich, but someone proved that the black metal aesthetics were added when it was remastered, or something. At least, that's what I remember.

Well, i found what I was talking about. Cromagnon's "Orgasm" released in 1968. Probably what you said.

Claws of Perdition said:
I think the earliest roots come down to Led Zeppelin something like immigrant song is a prime example of this. Then sabbath came along and it was a sure thing from their.

That song was released after Sabbath's debut, though Zeppelin certainly were hugely influential in the development of their creation, I'm still firmly in the belief that Sabbath alone were responsible for introducing the aura that defines metal.

Dark One said:
I gotta go with "Helter Skelter".
Aye. That and She's So Heavy (I Want You).

I mean, you know, among a lot of other influences. Like... THE DEVIL.