old school funk

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
So who else is into this stuff? What are your favorite bands, albums, songs and/or musicians?

For me, I was raised outside of Detroit and pretty much grew up listening to the Motown classics. The Temptations, The Supremes, The Four Tops, Martha and the Vandellas, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Marvin Gaye.... I've gotten into alot of different types of music since then, but I still hold that stuff close to my heart. I don't have any of their albums, though. I only have greatest hits discs. 2 for the Temptations because they're that good.

When I went for buying albums, I went for Funkadelic. It's tough for me to pick a favorite album of theirs, but it's easy to pick a suggestion for a first album to buy. One Nation Under a Groove is such a great album. The problem with most Funkadelic albums is that they tend to get soft in parts. One Nation Under a Groove has it's soft parts, but they're minimal.

For those of you into politics, as we all should be, America Eats Its Young is a masterpiece in my book.

I've been meaning to buy an Eddie Hazel cd. He was a Funkadelic guitar player. I downloaded one hell of a version of the Beatles' song I Want You/She's So Heavy a while ago, but I threw it out like a good boy.

Lyn Collins, Bootsy's sister, made an album produced by James Brown. She used to be one of his backup singers. I heard some of it a while back and loved it. That would be another great buy.

On a side note, as if I work any other way, Martha Reeves used to be a secratary at Motown Records.

Anyway, if your interested in funk, check this out...http://www.funk45.com

Also, War kicks ass. Especially Slippin' Into Darkness.

:wave:

Not to familiar with those artists. But I am a huge Fishbone fan who I think drew their inspiration from these artists. Especially on their Chim Chims Bad Ass Revenge album. Very James Brwonish.

It sounds to me like Fishbone got a bunch of influence from Funkadelic, too. Tight drums, slap bass, Hendrix influenced guitar.

It's a shame about that mtv version of "What's Goin' On?" isn't it? They should have just brought En Vogue... or Smokey for that matter, back to do it and left the words as they were. :]