Oldfag to oldfags, some help needed here =P

aleta

Oldfag
Oct 7, 2005
Earth
aleta-von-deetz.deviantart.com
First of all; f*ck you guys, how's it goin'? :*

A friend and I are thinking about taking a Helsinki-Stockholm trip in 2 years, and need some practical advice from you lovable chumps.

We've already seen public transport prices, and hostel prices, but we could use advice on where to go for cheap food, what to see, how to get from H to S (or vise versa) fastest and cheapest, etc.

I don't care if someone from Sweden/Finland gives us some info, or someone who travelled there.
Any help will be heartily rewarded - by yours truly - with a virtual slap in the face. A friendly one, of course.
:Smokedev:

My experience of Helsinki was that nothing was particularly cheap. Booze less so. Food, I don't even remember what I ate while I was there. Probably crisps for my entire 4 day stay. Wait, I remember there being Rye bread, but aye I didn't eat out or anything like that. Helsinkis huge cathedral is worth a look inside and out, and the docks and when I went had a semi decent German market type afair not far away from these docks. Don't know about Stockholm, I understand there is probably a ferry that goes out of Turku, but I have been to neither place so I cannot advise further than that. Only thing I would advise is go to Finland during the summer, it is particularly miserable lets say when I went...for my 21st birthday in December. Some people like the idea of having 3/4 hours sunlight, I found it to be particularly creepy.

Last but not least. Fuck you and your red font.

Helsinki is nothing special. I would not see any special reason to go to that specific city...if not for a festival or gig.
Expensive food and expensive booze...like everywhere in Finland.

Cheapest way to get around is bus and trams. Taxi's cost an arm and a leg. Cheapest food is the kebab pizza places and fast food in general.
After lunch time real food is almost certainly 10-12e depending on what you are having.

Finnland is fucking expensive. At least for a German.

Finland is fucking expensive full stop. Also the only country I have been to where the beer was so shit that I searched for and found an off licence that sold English ales and stocked up. Possibly the most I have ever spent for Youngs Double Chocolate stout but it was worth every fucking cent. Kurhu makes Becks look like an amazing beer.

A friend and I are thinking about taking a Helsinki-Stockholm trip in 2 years, and need some practical advice from you lovable chumps.

I've been to Gothenburg & Stockholm. Best to go in their summer, the Gothenburg festival is really cool, they usually have one local metal band play, we got to see Arch Enemy play free on a stage on the docks across town.

Hit up The Rock Baren in Gothenburg and Kelly's Bar and The Anchor in Stockholm. Beer is expensive but they usually have a special on a particular brand so you can drink cheaply if you stick to that brand.

A facebook friend I 'sort of' know just moved to Stockholm from Sydney with another to try their luck in a Glam Metal band. If you're on facebook PM me and I could get try to get you friended, I'm sure he knows the town by now.

s

Finland is fucking expensive full stop. Also the only country I have been to where the beer was so shit that I searched for and found an off licence that sold English ales and stocked up. Possibly the most I have ever spent for Youngs Double Chocolate stout but it was worth every fucking cent. Kurhu makes Becks look like an amazing beer.

Isn't Scandinavia in general super expensive in relation to most of EU?