omg I have a techy question and maybe Erik or some other f'er can help me

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Right then, so I want to access certain areas on a website (in this case we're talking www.bbc.co.uk) but only folks in the UK are granted access.

I assume the site is checking ISP geographic location and therefore preventing access to anyone using an ISP outside of the UK?

As I understand it, I can possibly bypass this by using a proxy server that's located in the UK. So I went to http://www.publicproxyservers.com/ and found a British proxy server IP address.

I copied this into my browser settings, but alas, no such luck. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I can try? I've already tried DEL *.* :loco:

:Spin:

Won't somebody PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

How come Ze BBC doesn't allow outside of UK access to certain parts? British conspiracy to invade all homes with Monty Python? Because if that's the case, shit niggah, sign my brash American ass up.

It's some UK license only thing.

Here's the deal: in the UK, you have to buy a TV/Radio license. This pretty much buys you BBC access. Of course, since their funding is based on your license payments, they don't run ads. Totally commercial free.

So some of the radio streaming and video footage on the BBC website is allowed only to those folks in the UK who have the TV/Radio license.

jimbobhickville said:
Maybe they're more complicated and actually look at your OS version to see if it's the UK version.
That would make no sense whatsoever as 1) you should have access to the site if you're in the UK regardless of the language of your OS and 2) the browser doesn't and cannot actually report that information to a site, so it's technically impossible as well

And yeah Jay you're on the right track but there are different kinds of proxies, you should maybe choose one that is "high anonymity" to be sure

Really, Erik? Here's my User-Agent string, sent by Firefox to my server.

HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4

Oh, looky, I have the language set to en-US. I wasn't saying that they did it, I was saying it was a possibility.