Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light

Nov 29, 2001
UK
www.angelfire.com

For anyone who doesn't know the band you can check it out out at their website www.omniumgatherum.cjb.net.

Spirits and August Light is their debut album on Rage of Achillis (dark respect), following their MCD Steal the Light. As far as I can tell this album features some new material and some from that MCD and the preceeding demo Wastrel. All the re-recorded material sounds fuller, heavier and some of the riffs are more complex than when I heard the songs before.

The band play fast melodic metal similar to a mix of Dark Tranquility, Opeth(in their use of acoustics I suppose), children of Bordom(especially on track 3) and lots of melodic death bands, there are probably some better comparisons but I can't think of any right now. But make no mistake, while it doesn't sound totally original, the music stands out because of it's sheer brilliance, in terms of technicality, composition and style.

The first track Writhen is a new one I believe. They kick off with a killer riff (the kind of thing In Flames would be doing now if hadn't relaxed) great riffs lead into more great riffs building to a crecendo just after the 2 minute mark, it then goes into a beatdown which leads to a nice military beat to bring in the end. A damn good song.

Other gems include The Perfumed Garden, Wastrel and the awesome Sons Thoughts.

On the negative side, I don't think the vocals are loud enough and some people might not appreciate the fact that he has one vocal style used throughout the entire album (but thats the way I like it).

Overall the album has great production, musicianship and inspiration. It's heavy, melodic, aggressive, sorrowfull, joyful, epic and you'll want to listen to it all the way to the end (then put it on again).

I swear Spirits and August Light is worth your money even if you have to sell your kidneys to afford it.

I'm torn on this one. I can't really deny that it's extremely well written and performed....but for some reason it just sounds too damn catchy and sugary for me to love it completely. I know, that sounds weird coming from a nu-metal fan....but Spirits and August Light almost sounds contrived, like the melodies have been strangely recycled from all the melo-death bands that have come before.....

The production is quite unique though, i'll give it that. =)

Love the album. Not very original, but has a distinct emotional feel lacking in many other releases. Could just be the cool production though. ;)