On-ear headphones for music listening/gaming/movies

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey all, I've been using my Audio Technica ATH-M50's for immersive gaming/movie watching, but their weight and the circumaural design make them a bit uncomfortable for long periods of vegetation - I'm thinking of grabbing a pair of on-ear headphones that'll be more comfortable, and naturally my first inclination is these guys

http://www.adorama.com/AUHES55BK.html?gclid=CO-u39vOr7oCFVOf4Aodb1EAOQ

But any other recommendations in that price range are welcome!

Circumaurals are pretty much the most comfortable. Supras sit on your ears so the pressure goes to a more sensitive area that is more prone to soreness. Don't do it, you will be disappointed.

I sold my ATH-M50's a year or so ago, exactly because they were so uncomfortable on my head & ears.

Maybe try open cans? I agree that circumaurals are pretty much the most comfortable. I use the HD-650's, and while they might be over your budget, they're also so comfortable that I often forget I'm even wearing them. Then I trip on the cable or get caught on it like an idiot. Yeah. But there's obviously cheaper open-backed circumaurals available.

I guess my reservation about curcumaurals is how sweaty my skin gets under the vinyl pads of the M50's (and the Sony MDR-7506's I had previously), though I should see if I can find cloth replacements (and I know some curcumaurals like Beyerdynamic's come with cloth pads) Weight is a factor too, but my budget is $150 used max, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

I guess my reservation about curcumaurals is how sweaty my skin gets under the vinyl pads of the M50's (and the Sony MDR-7506's I had previously), though I should see if I can find cloth replacements (and I know some curcumaurals like Beyerdynamic's come with cloth pads) Weight is a factor too, but my budget is $150 used max, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro have a different material on the pads. Have a nice bass quantity like the M50 and a slightly less harsh freq response(but still studio tuned). Many people are saying they are more comfortable than the M50. I don't have any experience with them, but they sure seem like they could be what you're looking for.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT770pro

Also when it comes to on ears. I'm currently in love with the V-Moda M-80s. They're probably the best on ears out there. On ears are the only category where it's safe to say such a thing since most of them lag so far behind the other types. If you think the M50s aren't comfortable you probably won't dig these though. They had quite the clamping pressure until I broke them in. Still can't wear them for hours on end like circumaurals without eventually noticing something getting sore eventually like I mentioned in my previous post. Being on the ear rather than skull just makes it more uncomfortable by default.

EDIT: forgot about the pricerange. Oops.