Once Upon a Nightwish: reviews and discussion

Ah, bless!
Umm, back on topic...I thought everyone was at the point where they just wanted to get on with their lives. Tarja's bringing out her second album, Nightwish have finished the tour with Anette. Seriously, I'm a bit sick of hearing about it. The damage's has kind of been done. What point is there in dragging all this up yet again?

Ah, bless!
Umm, back on topic...I thought everyone was at the point where they just wanted to get on with their lives. Tarja's bringing out her second album, Nightwish have finished the tour with Anette. Seriously, I'm a bit sick of hearing about it. The damage's has kind of been done. What point is there in dragging all this up yet again?

Because Tarja's career has stalled, and Nightwish has proven that they are a full act, and not Tarja's backing band. Her CD was panned badly, Marcelo made some serious tactical mistakes and lost some pretty heavy political defeats. He turned Tarja's US tour into a clusterfuck, when some genius decided to charge $250 for tix. It was later discoved to be an error, but the damage was done.

She drew only around 100-150 in NYC, while Nightwish drew 2000 three days later. How is that for a political defeat?

Wonder if there will be a part 2, because of Anette and the new era?

I sincerely hope so! I think it would be interesting to read that too! Perhaps after this tour is over? That way she's got 2 whole tours under her belt?!

I loved the book. Being a fan since very recently (thanks again Taimi!) it was interesting to read about how they started and the trials they've gone through over the years. Despite the problems, it's nice to see that they've (hopefully at least) overcome at least some of their issues to become a stronger band!

I too got the communication problems and Tuomas' lack of whatever to fire those who he felt needed to fire. Maybe by now he's realized he can stick up for himself :p

Remind me never to send a Finn to negotiate a dispute.
I think it would depend on the Finn. :p To my knowledge Marco takes care of his shit, and he is a Finn too. I think it's Tuomas' nature as a water spirit that's getting in the way. Water spirits are passive, and basically are inertia personified. He won't get off his ass until something comes along and forces him to. That's why he let it get so bad before he took action. He was hoping to weather the storm instead of fighting.

He turned Tarja's US tour into a clusterfuck, when some genius decided to charge $250 for tix. It was later discoved to be an error, but the damage was done.

She drew only around 100-150 in NYC, while Nightwish drew 2000 three days later. How is that for a political defeat?
Holy shit, a VIP ticket for Kamelot in NYC was only $60-something. :lol: Much less money much better spent, but then that's why they sold out. :kickass: The theatre made back its money on those $12 beers though, good god, I knew I should have smuggled in a soda...

a slap here, a punch there, to keep her in line. As a "country girl", she may be to meek to fight back. If you don't think Tarja is a battered spouse, I have a bridge to sell you.

Why would Tarja's being a country girl make her easier to push around again? :lol: Clearly you haven't met many country girls.

And yes, I think a second book is on the way, I think they had the writer guy with them on the DPP tour, I could swear they were playing uno with him, but that's from memory so I could be wrong, it's been ages since I watched that.

^Maybe European "country girls" are different from American ones? :lol:

But I think Mape said at the end of the book that he'd love to write one for the new era...maybe in another 10 years, since it would probably take him that long to recover from this one! ;) (Not the quote verbatim, but something like that.)

John from Sonic Cathedral recently met up with Tarja (at Female Metal Voices Festival, I believe), and he asked her if she'd ever like to come back to North America someday. She says she'd love to, but the funds just aren't there to do it.

Hmm, maybe if Marcelo had a little more foresight than just being master of the obvious, she would have the money to do it now. I never understood where as her manager, he couldn't see the potential in doing those two Nightwish tours here. If they knew that far back that the "next album" was going to be the last, or at the very least, she was going to be a solo act, wouldn't it make sense to do the tours, so fans here can get acquainted with her, and actually *want* to see her perform as a solo artist?

Then again, maybe this is why I'm not a manager. :lol:

^ Yeah, you could never be a manager. You're too sensible. :p

I just meant that another book was on the way eventually, since he seemed to be there observing them on the road.

And maybe they are more timid. According to the book she did just kinda stand there while some dude accosted her on the Wishmaster tour I think it was? When Marcello had to run over and rescue her. :err: Around here, if some dude grabs us we go straight for the balls. :fu:

I have to say that I find it hard to believe that Tuomas was willing to fire Tarja for the sole reason that he was in love with her and realized that he'll never get her. I think the love of Tuomas' life is Nightwish, and he wouldn't let his romantic feelings for anyone get in the way of Nightwish. If he ever had been in love with Tarja, I think her behaviour leading up to the split, would have made him fall out of love quite quickly. Since we're just speculating.

Weighing in on the whole Tarja/Tuomas thing, I always thought at the very least Tuomas had some unrequited thing for her. Though, I do not think it had much, if anything, to do with her dismissal. A lot of things give away the Tuomas unrequited love for Tarja thing. At one point I had written a sort of essay about it, but I lost all of my work because my computer crashed when I was in the middle of writing it. I should start it again, but it was one of those things where I had so much work into it, and to lose it all, it was like UGH.. forget it.

I'm trying to buy this book but I don't want to accidently buy the Finnish version. Can someone help me out? I'd like to go through amazon.com.

Is this the english version? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Nightwish-Biography-ebook/dp/B006CQAM3G[/ame]

^The best place to buy the Nightwish book in English is through our friends at Bazillion Points; you get a free Nightwish pin with purchase. A Nightwish book with a free pin picturing Tuomas drinking booze...what could be better? :lol:

I bought the book through them, so I can say that they have awesome service. I think I ordered the book on a Tuesday or Wednesday and it was at my house by Saturday.

^The best place to buy the Nightwish book in English is through our friends at Bazillion Points; you get a free Nightwish pin with purchase. A Nightwish book with a free pin picturing Tuomas drinking booze...what could be better? :lol:

I bought the book through them, so I can say that they have awesome service. I think I ordered the book on a Tuesday or Wednesday and it was at my house by Saturday.

Thanks, i'll do that.

I'm desperately trying to save my money, but once more important matters are settled, I definitely want to buy the book. All these discussions have made me very curious. :lol: