Once

dargormudshark

Sep 25, 2003
houston,Tx
www.dreamspaceonline.com
Is it just me or is anyone else a little dissapointed in the new nightwish. Especially "wish i had an angel", what's up with that drum machine? I can stand evanescence or king crimson's drummer playing his v-drum set and sounding like a drum machine because he's that good. But this song sounds like it should be played in dance clubs. Of course, i have not heard the whole album yet, but from what i've heard i'm not impressed.

Tuomas Huolapainen is a great writer and comes up with some of best melodies ever, like on Nemo, Crownless, Ever Dream, She is my sin, and Stargazers. I know Nemo is on the new album, but that song stands out. I like the orchestra on the album, I really think the score is awesome, reminds me of Basil Poledoris, the guy who did the Conan the Barbarian score. The melodies on some of the songs i've heard are weaker than usual. I'll still this buy this album because i love nightwish and it's not anywhere as bad as the first album :puke: . Like I said, I have not heard the whole album yet, I was just expecting more.

Good Tracks-Nemo, Higher Than Hope, Ghost Love Score(nice orchestral stuff), Planet Hell
Bad Tracks- Romanticide(good up until marko comes in, good solo),Lagoon(ok , i just hate this drum machine),Wish i Had an Angel(Drum machine, weak melody), Dead gardens(ok)

Don't get me wrong i love marko's stuff, but not on Romanticide( :puke: )
I still have not heard the whole album yet. I hope not the only one who feels this way, maybe i just need to let it grow on me.

P.s. Anybody notice that Emppu looks like Tom HUlce, the guy who played Mozart in the movie, "Amadeus"

dargormudshark said:
I downloaded it off kazaa, hey i'm gonna buy the cd so it's not ripping it off from them
I too downloaded "samples" but I'm afraid this is one album I won't be bothering with. I'm not disappointed as much as I'm not "getting it". The musicianship is outstanding but except for the orchestration, the songs all sound too disjointed. Some are cool, others are completely forgetful, and there's really nothing catchy about any of them.

I'm just not in the mood for this kind of music right now. Maybe later. My first impression - I'm not that impressed.

I have heard the remaining tracks off the album and I take back what I said. This album is good and even a little expiremental, not what i was expecting. It's not as good as Wishmaster or Century Child, it's probably tied with Oceanborn. I do think this album will sound very cool live especially if they pp6. I think Planet Hell and Dark Chest of Wonders will be really awesome.

Overall, this is a good expiremental album and the reason i was dissapointed was that there were not as many great songs as I was expecting. In my opinion there is only one, Nemo, but that depends on what you would consider great. Now that they've gotten the expirementation out of there system I hope the next album will be a straight out masterpiece like Wishmaster, but mke every song great. I never cared too much for "The Kinslayer".

I love the album, but it's definitely going to turn some people off. All the new elements and experimentation will be too much for some. To me, it's an intriguing new sound that never stops surprising me. You have to listen to it many times. My favorites are mostly the heavier stuff in Romanticide and Planet Hell, though I'm getting more into the strange, haunting sound of Creek Mary's Blood every day. Dark Chest of Wonders seems to me to be most like their "old" sound and it plays great live as does Nemo which is the most simple and easy to listen to, but still has a poignancy that's touching.
Love it; hate it, up to you, but that's my opinion.

Kitee, Finland. They opened the release party with it. :cool: Great show, but only 4 songs from Once. Still, they did so many old favorites and some they rarely do live. Phantom of the Opera was a special treat!:worship:
I'll be posting picts. and stuff on my site this weekend.

AMBR said:
Kitee, Finland. They opened the release party with it. :cool: Great show, but only 4 songs from Once. Still, they did so many old favorites and some they rarely do live. Phantom of the Opera was a special treat!:worship:
I'll be posting picts. and stuff on my site this weekend.

You saw that show! Give us a review, man. :OMG:

I probably won't be getting it for a while because I just went on my last cd spree for a while, until progpower atleast. Everybody I like is coming before progpower, Evanescence, DEEP PURPLE, and maybe Dokken. Plus, I don't have a job, so that sort of sucks. At progpower I'm probably gonna get alot of stuff I havn't heard alot of such as, Akashic, Supreme Majesty, Theocracy, and some bands i havn't heard at all. Plus some shirts Adagio, PoS.

I just thought I'd chime in and mention, is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that all the shirts, and all the posters that say "Everywhere is just a journey away" kinda odd? I mean the line is supposed to be "Every WISH is just a journey away" That makes more sense, of course everyWHERE is just a damn journey away, its called a car or a plane.

Ben

Daybreaker said:
I just thought I'd chime in and mention, is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that all the shirts, and all the posters that say "Everywhere is just a journey away" kinda odd? I mean the line is supposed to be "Every WISH is just a journey away" That makes more sense, of course everyWHERE is just a damn journey away, its called a car or a plane.

Ben

Yeah, that is wierd. Because in "Away" the lyric is Every wish is a journey away.