One Man Army and the Undead Quartet – Error in Evolution

Tom Strutton

Oct 23, 2006
One Man Army and the Undead Quartet – Error in Evolution
Nuclear Blast – NB 1812-2 - 9th March 2007
by Tom Strutton

untitled-1.jpg

Error in Evolution is an awesome album, and One Man Army and the Undead Quartet are an incredibly accomplished band. Bringing old-school thrash up to date is their game, and they do it so painfully well that it is hard to believe this is a second album – such is the level of confidence, craftsmanship and coherence displayed across the board. The secret of OMAatUQ’s success is evidently an acute understanding of the fine line artists must achieve between emulation and innovation. Take the first track on Error in Evolution – 'Mine for the Taking' – the verse guitars and drums smack of 80s Megadeth; all snarling attitude and polished venom, which proceeds to give way to a simple and effective melodeath inspired chorus. The ripping guitar solo that ensues is tasteful and reminiscent of classic Marty Friedman, while the death-metal vocals are (pleasingly) on the right side of legible. Now, all of these credible elements could easily have been cancelled out if the drum work was OTT as is increasingly fashionable these days, but here you will be pleased to find that rare creature – a drummer who overwhelmingly writes for the good of the song, only sparingly drawing attention to his own achievements.

Ahh the pace! The pace! Error in Evolution is furious fun, delivering one relentlessly crushing track after another. Are you the sort of metal fan who finds their self seething when bands are content to merely go through the motions? Don’t you just loathe psuedo-existential lyrics put to lazy ‘hooks’, yet at the same time despise the utterly unconvincing ‘escapism’ of much power metal? If you answered yes to all or any of the above, do yourself a favour and get Error in Evolution – it will provide you with escapism of a different kind, something akin to standing in a ‘metal hailstorm’ miles from the nearest shelter, and loving every minute of the beating you are taking at the hands of all mighty nature. Incidentally, OMAatUQ effortlessly avoid sounding forced, instead coming across like writing inventive thrash songs were the most natural thing in the world to do. Natural, and fun too. In fact, that word ‘fun’ needs to be singled out and highlighted. The first time I ever experienced Carcass'sHeartwork I had a huge grin on my face from start to finish, even managing a lol to myself every so often, as each song proved more deliciously fun than the last. Error in Evolution evoked similar feelings of joy, with no filler to dampen the rush of adrenaline it maintains. The only moment of respite comes in the form of a cover of Alice Cooper’s 'He’s Back (The Man Behind the Mask)’, but even this is great, and the track that follows it wastes no time in reassuming the contemporary death/thrash onslaught.

Production-wise, Error in Evolution is a sonic delight that captures the production value that arguably all bands should strive for, namely, one which affords each contributing instrument clarity without drawing attention to the means of its capture i.e. overdubs aren’t apparent and the band sounds like its playing together in room even if it is not. This sounds like a simple issue to conquer, but even mainstream acts like Killswitch Engage stumble at this block. My guess is that KsE would/will shit themselves if/when they hear this.

I cannot recommend this album enough. In an age where crap like Trivium is presented by mainstream publications as spearheading the rebirth of old-school thrash values, Error in Evolution is a HUGE relief; concrete evidence that the world hasn’t gone completely mad. 2007 will bring more technical albums, more progressive albums, and more important albums, but few of them will match this one for sheer white knuckle excitement and ability to re-affirm faith in contemporary thrash metal. Early in the year it may be, but it is safe to say that Error in Evolution has booked its place in this writer’s top 10 of 2007. Don’t let this one pass you by. GET THIS ALBUM AND THEN TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

Official One Man Army and the Undead Quartet Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

Take the first track on Error in Evolution – 'Mine for the Taking' – the verse guitars and drums smack of 80s Megadeth; all snarling attitude and polished venom, which proceeds to give way to a simple and effective melodeath inspired chorus. The ripping guitar solo that ensues is tasteful and reminiscent of classic Marty Friedman, while the death-metal vocals are (pleasingly) on the right side of legible. Now, all of these credible elements could easily have been cancelled out if the drum work was OTT as is increasingly fashionable these days, but here you will be pleased to find that rare creature – a drummer who overwhelmingly writes for the good of the song, only sparingly drawing attention to his own achievements

Are you kidding me? I'm gonna have to check this out immediately. Yeah, there's nothing worse than a drummer who just hits auto-pilot and bam bam bam's his way through a song like a $12 drum machine. I'm a little concerned that it has death growls (doesn't seem to match the rest of the description) but I'll check it out nonetheless.

P.S. If I was to judge by the cover and label, I would have thought this to be some metalcore outfit. :tickled:

Yeah, I was surprised too - the cover does suggest something a bit crap and generic, but this is definitely misleading.

Regarding the drums: I like blast beats as much as the next guy, but the fact that there isn't a single blast beat on the record makes it extremely refreshing. :headbang:

ahh now thats the phrase I was looking for, psuedo-existential. I hate it when bands are like: "In the gemstone mines of my darkened soul, I lift a cup of crimson red, and the moon is high, and the dragons fly by, and all I eat is rye, cos im on a gluten free diet"

meh, of what i was expecting after their first album i somehow ended up disappointed. where's all that smooth "death'n'roll" groove gone to? error in evolution sounds to me like they tried some kind of style-reboot. perhaps im somewhat biased, being an old 'crown' fan and used to johans vocals in the work with different stuff. maybe i just need to give it another go. still, wasn't what i expected as a 2nd album from one man army. what's going on behind the church? :/