One Year From Now (for fans of Deftones, Converge, SOAD)

trianglebutt

Feb 22, 2012
Hey dudes! My band just released a "single" from our EP that's coming out on the 31st. I mixed and mastered it, and I'm pretty proud of the result. I figured some of you guys might dig it so here ya are:

EDIT: EP is now out, available for free at: http://oneyearfromnow.bandcamp.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I would've really have liked this 5 years ago, or I will like this much more when the vocalist is 5 years older. I think during the verse, there should be a little more reverb added underneath to give the words a thicker/fuller tone. A few surgical cuts can be done to the vocals to reduce some of the annoying frequencies (during the screaming parts). I honestly think this song is a lot better compared to what I hear on here, I'm getting tired of metalcore, symphonic metal, djent, etc. I like the clean work and the dynamics (not a boring song). I'll be looking forward to your EP, I hope there continues to be dynamics, and not just OVRDRV from beginning to end.

Wow! That bass is heavy. The whole mix is a bit upper mid heavy, sounds too "scooped". For the genre I think the vocals are way too upfront, and also the vocals are crushing the entire mix at times (i.e. the chorus). It sounds weird and "phasey".

Cool song though.

Woah! Sorry I didn't get to replying until now, thought this thread had disappeared. Thanks for the replies guys. Our EP was released today actually, here's the soundcloud set:
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/oneyearfromnow/sets/cheers-for-ears-ep[/SOUNDCLOUD]

You can also download the whole thing in higher quality formats on our Bandcamp page: http://oneyearfromnow.bandcamp.com
And our FB: http://facebook.com/oneyearfromnow

I would've really have liked this 5 years ago, or I will like this much more when the vocalist is 5 years older. I think during the verse, there should be a little more reverb added underneath to give the words a thicker/fuller tone. A few surgical cuts can be done to the vocals to reduce some of the annoying frequencies (during the screaming parts). I honestly think this song is a lot better compared to what I hear on here, I'm getting tired of metalcore, symphonic metal, djent, etc. I like the clean work and the dynamics (not a boring song). I'll be looking forward to your EP, I hope there continues to be dynamics, and not just OVRDRV from beginning to end.
I'll work on growing up ASAP haha, glad you like the song. Dynamics are one of the things I'm really into, and I'm in the same sort of position. Metal doesn't interest me as much as it did say two years ago. A lot of the stuff getting high praise these days just bores me for some reason.. The rest of the EP is full of dynamics though, hope you dig it.

Wow! That bass is heavy. The whole mix is a bit upper mid heavy, sounds too "scooped". For the genre I think the vocals are way too upfront, and also the vocals are crushing the entire mix at times (i.e. the chorus). It sounds weird and "phasey".

Cool song though.
Thanks man. Yeah, I agree with you. I'm mixing with Bose headphones and using two other pairs of earbuds and laptop speakers as other references. Not the most ideal listening situation. One of the other songs had some nasty sub bass distortion going on that I didn't even realize was there until I listened through a car stereo haha. I'm saving for some legit monitors right now. The phasey sounds is probably because of the loads of chorus on the clean vox, I personally liked that sort of vibe but it definitely crushes the mix haha. The vocals are absolutely the most difficult part to mix on these damn headphones, they sound fine in the phones and then I go out and play it in the car and they're overpowering everything.

This isn't bad actually. The Deftones influence sticks out like a sore thumb haha. Don't really see the Converge in it though.
Thanks dude. Yeah haha, I'm definitely a huge Deftones fan. Our newer stuff is moving away from that sort of vibe, although there's definitely still some influence.

wow, it sounds incredible! Could you share the bass chain including the bass model?
Thanks man! The bass was a Warwick Thumb into a Presonus Firestudio. I had to do a lot of EQing to get the mids right since we didn't have new bass strings, then I compressed it pretty hard with the Waves CLA-3A plugin. I think I had another track setup with a slight chorus effect as well. I'll let my bassist know you liked it, he'll be delighted haha!

thanks for the info! No wonder why the bass sounds so good, it's a freaking thumb! btw is that the 4 string model? I wish I had one of those but it's ridiculously expensive for me.

Five string model actually, yeah, it's an awesome sounding bass! Bassist is a consistent player too which always helps. I wish we had restrung it for the recordings though, the low A# isn't very clear.