Online mixing and mastering

Tom-D

Jul 9, 2009
www.facebook.com
I want to give my song for mixing and mastering. Do you guys know a good freelancer/studio that can do the job properly ? Its a death metal mix. Price range: max 100$ for the job. I found a couple of websites with such offers, but in most cases the mix examples are not very good. Is it actually possible to have good results with this budget ?

Just so you know, a "World Class Professional engineer" Such as Michael Wagener charges around $30,000.00 for mixing an album.

Sure, if it's someone HUGE like Andy or Colin. But I fail to believe anyone on this forum besides Andy would charge $30k. Not even Ermz, and his mixes are worth that sort of money.

Is anyone besides Andy a professional engineer on this forum? When I think of professional, I think guys that have multiple years major label experience,
Such as Andy or Michael.

Anything else is semi pro or consumer quality. For that I would think $100 per song is about right.

By professional I mean anyone doing a job for a living. :)

You are talking about a very tiny group of people only (there must be less people charging this kind of money nowadays than there are fingers in my hands), people who could be considered as "world top mixing engineers".

By professional I mean anyone doing a job for a living. :)

You are talking about a very tiny group of people only (there must be less people charging this kind of money nowadays than there are fingers in my hands), people who could be considered as "world top mixing engineers".

How many guys here are doing audio engineering full time and have major label credits?

If you are one of them, what would you charge per song? I am curious as maybe my interpretation of professional engineer is different from everyone else.

I am not trolling, I have actually spoken to Michael about his prices before. This isn't some arbitrary number I came up with.

BTW Brett, I was having coffee with Kyle Odell the other day and told him about this glowing recommendation Lee Barrett gave you when we were looking for mix engineers back in 2006. So many guys here have their personal hype machine on full blast while you quietly impress legends.

I'm not sure what everyones problem with me here is. I state a fact and everyone gets bent out of shape. Facts are facts, Michael is a professional engineer and has earned my respect with the countless records he has done. I have nothing against Brett, he has done re-amps for me that I was very happy with.

If you guys think I am trolling or I'm hurting your forum ego's, I apologize.

Saying "major label" is pretty limiting (and arbitrary). Roadrunner wasn't a major until it was bought in 2006. NB, CM, Relapse, Rise....all indies. If you are making a full time living you are certainly a professional. To say there is no market between $30k and $100 is certainly a troll statement.

What you said was "Just so you know, a professional engineer charges around $30,000.00 for mixing an album."
If what you meant was "Just so you know, Michael Wagner charges around $30,000.00 for mixing an album" you should probably edit your statement.

Ok so let's talk about some pros (as you call them, since none of us really apply here then, besides a lot of us doing audio engineering full time) who charge way less than 10k for mixing an album (or in that area): Jens Bogren, Fredrik Nordström, Dan Swanö, Peter Tagtgren, Russ Russell, Tue Madsen, Jacon Suecof, Jacob Hansen, Dennis Ward... Some people I can think of charge a bit more but are still way under that 30k figure you stated as "normal" (and yes that does include Andy Sneap and Colin Richardson).
If you say that some people charge 30k for a mix, then yes, it's true, a very few people do, those are legends. If you say that most pros charge that amount, then no you're totally off. :)
Oh and there's nothing personal AT ALL here dude, but I think your statement was a bit strong hence the need to restrain it ;)

BTW Brett, I was having coffee with Kyle Odell the other day and told him about this glowing recommendation Lee Barrett gave you when we were looking for mix engineers back in 2006. So many guys here have their personal hype machine on full blast while you quietly impress legends.
Was very off topic but thanks, appreciated :)