unknown

fuck ftagn
Oct 27, 2003
The Red Tower
Onslaught - Killing Peace
Candlelight Records - CDL318 - March 6th 2007
By Michael Koger

CANDLE151CD.jpg

It seems like every band from the 80s has been coming out of the woodwork in the past couple of years. UK thrashers Onslaught are just the latest ones who played their first show in over a decade in 2005. After a couple of lineup changes, vocalist Sy Keeler returning to the band, and a flashy production job courtesy of Sabbat axeman/produce extraordinaire Andy Sneap, we are presented with Killing Peace, Onslaught's first album in nearly twenty years.

The album opens up with the simply titled track, 'Burn'. Headbanging riffs, pummelling drums, and anti-christian lyrics...sounds like a thrash record to me. Sy Keeler's vocals have definitely changed since 1986's The Force, but he still shows that he can keep up with the best. Age means nothing to these guys. The lyrics can be a bit cheesy at times. Take a look at these lines from the opener: "I hate you religiously/I hate you relentlessly/I hate your philosophy/I hate christianity". It's not hard to see where the band stands on Christianity. Lyrics like this are littered throughout the album. It slightly reminds me of early Slayer. Keeler's cheesy lyrics aside, the man can still sing. On the third track, 'Destroyer of Worlds', we hear how fast he can sing the chorus (which is a litany of people who are going to die) without getting tongue tied. It's quite amazing and dizzying at the same time. The choruses are catchy, and you might even find yourself singing them long after the album is over. The vocals, ranging from semi death growls to nicely pulled off screams, are clear and audible.

The music isn't overly complex. This isn't Coroner (though they should reunite as well). Onslaught set out to write a thrash record, and that they did. A lot of thrash purists will cry blasphemy at the modern sounding production. Onslaught recorded The Force in 1986, and they weren't going to do it again 21 years later. This is how modern thrash should sound: Uncomprising and heavy. You can hear every instrument, and the mix is just perfect (something standard for Andy Sneap). There is a fair amount of tempo variation but not enough to distinguish the tracks from one another. This may be the one downfall of the record. If the music doesn't showcase anything memorable, it relies on the vocals being memorable, which they are for the most part. There are memorable hooks on a few of the tracks but not every one. Killing Peace is nothing new, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. Put it on nice and loud, have some friends over, open some beers and rock out.

Official Onslaught Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

Couldn't agree more with the review. Very serviceable return, though I am awfully partial to the grimy filth of "Power From Hell" myself...

Power From Hell is great too...I just used The Force as a main reference point since that was Sy Keeler's first album with the band

You should definitely check out Power From Hell and The Force...(UK) Thrash classics.

edit:...maybe not classics, but whatever