Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Onward - Reawaken

Century Media - 2002
Visit the Century Media Website
Visit the Onward Website

By Rodrigo

Reawaken is the second release of Onward and it is an excellent follow-up to last year’s criminally over-looked Evermoving. In fact everything that made Evermoving so great has been dramatically improved. The songwriting is sharper, more technical and not as straightforward yet still has plenty of memorable moments.

Guitarist Toby Knapp gets the credit for writing the music and he let it all out not only in his writing but with his playing too. There is a lot of variation in the songs, no song sounds the same and all of the wicked solos that Toby belts out throughout the album sound fresh, exciting and not at all repetitive. He is truly one of the best guitarists out there right now. Reawaken has straight out head banging tunes like "Reawaken", "Night" and "Where Evil Follows". There are also mid-tempo songs like "The Seven Tides of Labyrinthine", which incorporates the use of keyboards in certain parts, and "Who Saw the Last Star Fall", which switches from fast heavy parts to softer passages. All these songs I have mentioned are excellent but two songs really stand out from the rest. First, "My Darkest Room" features an awesome intro for the first minute. Toby starts with one riff and without warning switches to another one and it all fits together perfectly. The middle section that starts at 2:53 is an excellent part; I love the use of the bell in the background and the way the singing is done. Second, "The Next Triumph" is divided into 2 parts, Remembrance and Reawakening, totaling over 9 minutes. Remembrance is the ballad, soft with keyboards and flutes in the background and only with the guitar and singing driving it. It really is a beautiful and relaxing piece. Reawakening speeds up the vibe and music from the first part, and truly ends the album in a triumphant level.

Vocalist and lyricist Michael Grant should also be given his proper credit on both departments. His voice is similar to that of Zachary Stevens and Warrel Dane. It’s deep and very powerful. His lyrics are extremely imaginative and one aspect that I like a lot is that sections that are repeated (like a chorus) the lyrics differ from the previous time. They just seem to be always flowing and moving forward.

The production is heavier and packs a lot more punch. This time around the bass (credited to Toby but now the bassist is Chris Payette) and drums (Jon Pereau) sound powerful and heavy which was an element missing in Evermoving.

Reawaken has everything that a metal fan can ask for. There is even an excellent cover of Loudness’s "Clockwork Toy" (which has become an integral part of their live set). Onward is one of metal’s greatest young bands and one that definitely demands your attention. No sophomore jinx can be found in Reawaken, instead be prepared to totally head bang with Onward.

9/10