dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
Finally, (after 1 year :) they managed to send out the mic. :loco:

i think ill have to wait a little longer than you guys in australia,
so has anyone already received one?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is with great pleasure I can finally announce that you will be receiving your Studio EQ package over the next few weeks.
The package will contain the Studio EQ calibration mic, a USB dongle and instructions on where and how to download the software to run the program.

I want to thank you all for your patience with the delivery of this product and thank you all again for purchasing Opals.

On another note, we are extremely interested to hear about your experiences so far with the Opals and how this unique product has been integrated into your current projects.

We stand behind the Opal as one of the most innovative products on the market and want to hear your thoughts.

We are currently in the process of redesigning the Event Opal website and would love to feature people that are currently using the Opal day to day.

I look for ward to hearing from you and I hope you look forward to receiving the Studio EQ.

Kind Regards,
Damien Wilson

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

really keen to get a set after hearing all you guys raving about them

nice! then welcome aboard.

at first i was a little dissapointed that they didnt include the mic and software
from the start (i mean its more than one year now...)
thats kinda lame, cause the ads said : mic included...

well, whatsoever.

yeah ermz register yours, theyll send you the stuff for free (i hope i get that thing free too as shipping to germany is a little more i guess :)

How much are these monitors, specific model?, and where can you find them online?

and people bitch about Slate delivering stuff late... this is a prime example that his company is pretty alright about keeping good on their promises. A year is pretty ridiculous. I'd be pissed if I was you guys.

I can't speak for everyone but I sure didn't buy a pair of some of the best near-fields in existence just to get a calibration mic and software I'll never use. There is nothing to be angry about; this is just an added bonus for some users.

haha, yeah, but you will be a user sooner or later i guess ;-)
keep us updated, and give us a review as soon as you have 'em!

I can't speak for everyone but I sure didn't buy a pair of some of the best near-fields in existence just to get a calibration mic and software I'll never use. There is nothing to be angry about; this is just an added bonus for some users.

Good point; I guess it's not really detrimental to their operation especially if you're mixing in a treated room... which anyone who drops 3k on MONS I assume that they are

Just because your room is treated doesn't mean it's perfect. Look at the nightmare Eddy (Raw Machine) went through! He had a 120,000 EURO studio build only to find out that he had overwhelming low end around 200hz IIRC in his mixes due to a null form phase cancellation due to ceiling height and trapping, etc. If there was a measurement microphone included with his speakers, it would have been plastered to his face when he saw a huge dip in the bass.

Not trying to be a dick, simply being devils advocate.

Yea it took me a measurement mic to find out i have a huge 200hz null as well in my room. Id be pissed it took them a year to get it together and ship out if it was part of the pack. Im still going to buy a pair of Opals though unless I go try these new Adams and they just blow my mind. I have a measurement mic and software already so no big deal to me really.

There's only so much you can do treatment-wise. This room of mine had a null across a vast range of low-end, and for years I struggled with virtually no bass response whatsoever, having to boost it in software and whatnot. Ultimately I just packed this thing with as much insulation as I could and stopped looking at graphs, because they're always going to be devastating to see in smaller rooms. That's just physics. You need the right dimensions in order to maximize your room response, the treatment is almost like the cherry on top. Otherwise it's just like slapping a band-aid on a severed limb - which is sadly the compromise we make in this day and age, working from home.

I'm not sure what happened in Eddy's case, but if it turns out the room dimensions of a purpose-built space were causing such a drastic issue, I would be very very very fucking pissed at the acoustician who designed it.

I'm not sure what happened in Eddy's case, but if it turns out the room dimensions of a purpose-built space were causing such a drastic issue, I would be very very very fucking pissed at the acoustician who designed it.

Agreed. It shouldn't be a ridiculous task to design a flat sounding room with proper dimensions and a nice sound for someone who's job is just that. Why can't people just do the right thing?

I'm all for measurements and stuff but I have to agree with Ermz, stuff a bunch of panels and definitely invest in superchunks. It just so so less frustrating to deal with lowend once I added them (and big ones - I just cut them diagonally and arranged the two corners like they are mirrored)

That said, it's good to know what problems you have, so you can keep that in mind while mixing or when troubleshooting (for example the band mentions a problem that you can't quite notice in the studio, because of acoustic issues)