Stuff for POD XT users.

DIOBOLIC5150

I think I broke something
Jul 18, 2004
Ok, I took these from another thread in the forum. The POD settings from a couple of my songs were requested, so I though I would put them in a new thred too. Hopefully this helps someone.

====================================================
POD Settings-
AMP #46 MS-DIAMONDPLATE (METAL SHOP PACK)
DRIVE- 10
BASS- 6
MID- 4.5
TREB- 10
PRES- 10
VOLUME- 8-8.5
A.I.R SETTINGS
CAB 22- 4X12 TREADPLATE
MIC 1- 57 ON AXIS
ROOM- 0%
COMPRESSION
THRES- -2DB
GAIN- 0DB
GATE-
THRESH- -50DB
DECAY- 0%
INTERNAL 4 BAND EQ-
LOW- GAIN= +3, FREQ= 100
LOW MID- GAIN= FLAT, FREQ= 250
MID- GAIN= FLAT, FREQ= 2.1K
HIGH- GAIN= FLAT, FREQ=3.0K
STOMP- DISABLED
MOD- DIABLED
DELAY- DISABLED
REVERB- NONE, DIABLED

*NOTE*- I use an XT live, I have active EMG pickups, so I have the "pad" switch enabled to cut the gain (sounds too harsh otherwise). The master output is set to the loudest point before it starts to overdrive. I also have the line/amp switch set to "line". I run from the headphone out into my board on a dry track (no eq) so I get a pure sound through the monitors (unaltered).

Here is the eq settings (roughly) "in the box"-

*NOTES*
4 tracks for guitar. Two tracks panned left, two right. I record the 2 left tracks simultainiously (doubled) at the same time. So really, it's one guitar track doubled, but EQ'd and panned differently per track. Same method applies to the right panned guitar tracks (doubled). But the MOST IMPORTANT PART.. I use a slightly different tone for the tracks panned "right". It's really easy... just change the mic setting on your POD to an SM57 "off axis" instead of an SM57 "on axis". Changes the sound drastically, but still has the same general tone. Simple, but it works. Now on to the EQ settings in a multitrack veiw.
======================================================
Guitar L1
VOL= -3.8
PAN= LEFT 100
HIGH= 2.3
MID= 2.0
LOW= 4.7
GUITAR L2
VOL= -9.1
PAN= LEFT 80
HIGH= 6.1
MID= 3.0
LOW= 4.8
GUITAR R1 (CHANGE MIC SETTINGS ON POD)
VOL= -12.5
PAN= RIGHT 100
HIGH= 2.9
MID= 2.7
LOW= 4.5
GUITAR R2
VOL= -4.5
PAN= RIGHT 80
HIGH= 3.1
MID= 2.1
LOW= 4.6

*MORE NOTES*
At mixdown, I eq the entire track accordingly, usually boosting mid to mid high frequencies and cutting any that sound too fizzy. Then I lay a c4 compressor over the whole track to de-ess and remove unwanted sub-frequencies. I limit the whole track to 1db and boost the input accordingly (without creating audible clipping) to help fill in the valleys.
I use Audition 1.5, but any multitrack software will work the same.
My main recording guitar- Agile AB3500bk Baritone with EMGs. I use light picks because (for some reason) I get a snappier tone when recording with them. Tuned in B flat with 11-58 strings.

Ok... vocals.. Couple of you wanted to know how I got that sweet ass vocal sound. lol. You are all going to flame the shit out of me now.
POD and an SM58! Yeah I said it. haha.
Tube preamp model on the POD, low gain, very dry. Then I butcher it in the box until it sounds good. Flame on.

Bass, you ask? POD! hahaha.
Jazz clean model, just tweak it until it sounds like a bass amp.

So there it is. That's all I do. Pretty ghetto-fantastic, but it's worked well for me. Like I said, these are all basic settings and there is no magic going on here. Tone is really subjective... some people don't like my tone, or they unwilling to admit it sounds good when I tell them I use a POD (gear snobs). But I don't care.. whatever sounds good works for me.

Somebody better put this garbage to use! It took me forever to look up and type out all this stuff! haha.

-- and finally, I oredered a new toy to beat on. Ibanez RG321mh (satin black), an Invader bridge pickup, Schaller locking tuners and Graph-Tec bridge saddles. I buy cheap guitars because I destroy them in a short period of time. Otherwise I'd own a Caparison. Just thought I'd tell y'all cause I'm excited about getting another guitar.

Ok, I'm done now.

Whew.

Funny that when we did our last demo last year we used exactly the same settings for our vocals and also for the bass guitar, I think we put the classic distortion stomp box on within the POD too though.

Really liking the POD emulation of the Sansamp Bass Driver in my XT Live at the minute.

Actually I'm sure it was Razorjack, Brett and you who offered my advice to improve that mix, welcome back its been a while